Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Newby driveshaft question >

Newby driveshaft question

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newby driveshaft question

Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby driveshaft question

My first RC boat is a Deep-Vee fibergalass boat that a friend gave me. She has some age on her and I really wanted to know how it was built and kinda wanted to go thru it top to bottom any way so I did. It has a Enya 60X engine that is in real great shape and other than needing a new radio box it looked pretty straight forward and in good shape. The prop and rudder are one assembly that bolts right to the back and the prop shaft runs thru a tube that is at an angle thru the hull to the engine. U-joints on both ends of the shaft. My problem is that there is nothing on either end of that tube to stop the water from going into the boat. I have been told to use "stuffing" but have no idea what that is or what type of stuffing to use. The tube that the shaft runs thru has no apparent seal at either end. What keeps the "stuffing" in the tube? What to use for stuffing? How do I put it in? Thanks for putting up with a Newb question!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Newby driveshaft question

The shaft should be a tight enough fit in the stuffing tube so that all you need is some grease to keep water out.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Got it. Made a new driveshaft for it that fits tighter. That part I got. I ran it yesterday and it seems to grab air around the prop when I try to go to full throttle. When it gets air it quits pumping water to the engine and gets hot. Maybe the prop too high but I can't move it because the shaft is solid thru the boat. Take a look and tell me if you think it is too high.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25360.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1712838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53843.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1712839  
Old 01-14-2012, 04:15 AM

hello james the tube itself is actually called a stuffing tube and there is normally whats called a teflon liner which is basically a teflon tube which is inserted in to the brass tube just so the flexishaft doesnt wear against metal some people tend not to put in a teflon liner but personally i do but like i say its not essential. but which ever method you go for just make sure you take the shaft out after every day of running and give it a grease just to stop the shaft from rusting and obviosly it lubricates the shaft when running hope this helps

regards jordan
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 AM

Thie shaft in this is a solid steel shaft thru just a brass tube. No liner. I keep it oile dwith grease from the LHS. I have another boat that has a flex shaft and I prefer that. It has the liner you spoke of and runs smoother and leaks none.Just got that one going and love it. will be changeing the one in my red boat to a flex soon. Check out the video of my white tunnel. My first run with it and for me and my son it was exciting. As you can see it will run faster than my Bass boat.

http://youtu.be/OtDhhUsMYns