Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Where to find a flywheel nut?? >

Where to find a flywheel nut??

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Where to find a flywheel nut??

Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find a flywheel nut??

I need a flywheel nut that has the driveshaft cog made on the end of it. The thread size is 5/16 X 24 and the drive cog is the ball with two pins. Any one know where to look?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 AM

Default RE: Where to find a flywheel nut??

What motor is it for? I have one for an OS 50 I'm not using. Did you try Octura?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 AM

It is a RJK 61. Old but in fantastic shape. I am attempting to make a new driveshaft and tube so I can use some other parts I have. I had another boat that has a O.S. 81 and the nut is the same thread. Problem is it has a flex cable and mine is a universal joint. I made a driveshaft that fits into the nut and the engine and driveshat is at the same angle so I hope this may work. Amazeing how these things are so hard to find. I surfed the web for hours and coldn't find one. So I went into my inventing mode.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 AM

Are you shure on the size? 5/16 is big,maby 5/32
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Yea. I tried to tap the one I had out to the right size but found out that that thing is real hard. I took the prop nut that goes to the 61 and found the thread size and diameter. Yea it is an airplane motor but I have the water jacket for it and it has good airflow in the boat. The old motor, an Enya 60X, did fine with the same set-up but the nut was smaller. It wore out after many years. Any-way, When I tried to drill the Enya flywheel nut to be tapped it cracked! I hope the way I got it set-up works, the shaft is a little bigger but it really needed to be any-way. It always lost the packing grease and leaked a little water into the boat. The new shaft is closer but not tight so maybe it will do better. This boat is old but I have just about re-built everything in it and I like the old stuff. Funny to me how the driveshaft in it was nothing more than a brass tube with the steel shaft run thru the middle. Pack it with grease and run. Till the grease comes out then you got to pack it again. The LHS said that is just the way they did it "in the old days!!"
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM

Octura U joint #UNISTD516 5/16-24 to a 3/16 shaft with 8-32 set screw on drive shaft end
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 PM

The new shaft works great. I ran 2 tanks thru it in the test tank and tuned the engine in. The shaft got a little warm at the start of the first tank but second tank was cool and seemed to do just fine. I added the link you gave me to my favorites. They seem to have a little of everything I couldn't find otherwise. Thanks! Tommorrow will be the true test, time to go to the river! I will try and post a pic of my boat if I can remember how. Don't seem to have the ability if I reply. I will do another post.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Now I have it! The back has been re-done and fiberglassed to eliminate all the holes that the previous owner had the exhaust thru. The dual chrome ones that I put out the top sound great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33515.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1712309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63352.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1712310