Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
help with an esc >

help with an esc

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

help with an esc

Old 08-27-2003, 02:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with an esc

I'm new to r/c boats and have a question about speed controllers, would it be a better idea to use an esc or a mechanical speed controller? I would like to use an esc but it might be cost restricting. I am capable of building one but have not been able to find a reversing esc schematic. I have a few ideas but I thought I would check with the experienced ones before I threw money at a hull and wound up with an awesome video of a burning boat......... :stupid: any help is appreciated
Old 08-28-2003, 12:22 PM

Default help with an esc

I'm another newie to RC Boats. I am in process of getting an ESC for my Blaadrunner 101. Near as I can tell with the mechanical speed control you only have one speed forward, no variable or reverse.

I may uqgrade my electric motor for more speed and want to buy an esc that will accomodate bigger motor. Hoping for a clear answer today from Tower Hobbies. The Great Plains ESC Wave Rocket is the one I'm getting. $42.99

I'm not much help to your specific question but the ESC situation is not clear to me either.

G. B. Robbins
Old 08-29-2003, 03:14 PM

Default help with an esc

G.B. Robbins
Thank you for your reply, I'm finding a very large fuzzy spot when it comes to the esc question. I haven't been able to find an answer yet, does everyone only use forward on r/c boats or do they have a secret supplier of esc's that has limited stock. I find it hard to believe that nobody sells these things for less than $250
Old 09-01-2003, 05:12 PM

Default help with an esc

Have a look at the article "What happens when I wiggle the sticks" on my home page http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fast.electrics It might help to demystify things a bit.

There are usually plenty of second hand ESCs available on Ebay, but these are usually designed for cars so will usually only operate on 7.2v. Most are pretty good value.

Neil
Old 09-02-2003, 07:14 PM

Default help with an esc

jeffnhiseagle2

So, you're in AZ huh? I live in Phx.
How's the model boat market up there? It's dry down here.
My $.02 worth is to use an ESC, they are more efficient and have beter control.
Reverse on a boat is mostly for scale and sport boats, not for something you want to go relatively fast, although a few manufacturers make reverse ESC's.
$250 for an ESC is too much, even for a brushless controller, even for racing, no matter what anyone says.
There are quite a few suppliers for ESC's and unfortunately Tower has only a limited few hydro ESC's.
Tower carries a few Astroflight hydro models, Hobby-Lobby has the Jeti Navy, RC-Hydros makes them, Fine Design and OffshoreElectrics sells a few types and the list goes on and on.
You'll have to try hard to spend more than $100 on an ESC for a brushed motor.
Neil's article is instrucitve and thorough (I was having college flashbacks) without being biased.
Just try to mate your motor specs to the boat requirements and find an ESC that can handle the power.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:54 PM

Default help with an esc

I thought about using a non-reversing esc but I'm building a midwest Jim Weilder 2 tug, I know that reverse isn't necessary but the thought of having a tug without reverse is like a race car without brakes, I have a friend that's an electronic engineer and he's designing an esc for me to build, when I get the schematic, I'll transfer them to CAD and post it, I think his idea is good for a brushed motor. Thanks for the help, by the way, the market up here for boats is not bad, we have a hobby bench and nobody builds or buys r/c boats so if your patient you can get some good deals on clearance stuff, I payed $174 for my tug, they have some really boats, but you just have to look around them.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:19 PM

Default RE: help with an esc

here are some great speed controllers by hi tec. You are right. You really have to search until you stumble upon controllers like this one

http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_fs.htm 39.95

JimB
Old 09-20-2003, 11:17 PM

Default RE: help with an esc

First off when you buy a speed control for a boat its an investment. Buy a speed control that is made for boats. I cant picture a tug without reverse either. Unless it was mine and it did 30mph!

Astroflight makes a speed control with reverse. You can find it here http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...oducts:af-208d

You can also wire a couple of micro switches to get one speed forward and one reverse. For less than $10(not including a cheap servo) Than in the future upgrade.

Than again building it like you said sounds like a great project!

Keep us posted.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com