Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

school project - gps/camera boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

school project - gps/camera boat

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Pink Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default school project - gps/camera boat

hello,
im a junior at a high school that is doing a project. The project is to build a boat that has an under-water camera and a gps on it. i have $1,000 to do it and the gps and the camera are provided. so basically i need to make a boat that can hold all of this stuff. it will be entered into a competition so it has to be stable, long lasting, moderatly fast and agile. i have never done anything with boats before but i am a big fan of rc cars so i have a basic understanding of the electronics envolved. i was thinking a hydrofoil would be cool but i also dont know the pro's and con's of it. So if any of you boat guru's out there are willing to help that would be great.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Hope the water's clear.
<edit> I see where you're in Hawaii... water should be plenty clear there.

Put it together and lets see how it comes out. Take plenty of photos.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Hobie270
My Feedback: (1)

Hi. I have some ideas for you. First some questions. Does the camera have to be able to take video while the boat is moving, or only while it is stationary? Will you be using an underwater camera which will be submerged, or will you be using a regular video camera that "sees" through a clear portion of the hull??
Old 08-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Pink Panther

im not to sure on the camera equipment being that i havent got the materials yet (just on random idea stage of build) but to give everyone an idea of what im doing the site is: www.tboat.org the main idea of the camera is just to be able to see underwater. i would imagine it would be a camera in a bubble or something under the boat. also i dont think it matters if it is moving or not. THX for some imput and if it isnt on the bottom of the ocean ill be sure to send some pics.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike Hoffmeister did some work with camcorders and some remotely mounted cameras with a transmitter and reciever onshore to videotape some onwater action. You best bet might be to use and electric powered boat seeing how you will need batteries anyway to power the eqipment. Find a large enough mono hull to put all of the gear in, a .40-.60 sized hull ought to do it.
For underwater shots I would use some sort of clear plastic bubble through the hull towards the center then place the running gear further back in the boat. speed should be of no concern as a slower video would probably look better anyway plus less trouble with air bubbles. Cover the backside of the bubble to keep extra light from above from ruining the shot.
Cool project, we never did anything close to this way back when I was in High School but we didn't have videotape back then either. 8-track tapes were new then! Boy I'm getting old.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:30 AM
muxster

Hobie270...

what is that hull in your avatar?

can you send me more detailed pics of it? thanks!

[email protected]