Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

chainsaw vs zenoah

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

chainsaw vs zenoah

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:36 PM
juanmoas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chainsaw vs zenoah

i have a spare chainsaw motor and was thinking of putting it in and easy vee 48 inches. it is a 36 cc engine and i can make it water cooled. Is it better than a zenaoh?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: chainsaw vs zenoah

In short. NO. Chainsaw is great as a chainsaw. But in boats there are many reasons why Zenoahs have been the powerplant of choice for decades.

Chainsaws (despite their sound and perceived power) dont rev as hard as a zenoah or make the power. They are heavier, larger, not water cooled, lack the modifyability, wont work with most of the hop-ups, often turn opposite rotation to common props and shafts, and in the end (Time + effort) will probably cost more.

You can certainly build a boat on a budget and have fun with a chainsaw or weedwacker motor - but it will likely take more work and deliver less performance than using a purpose built motor. (and for what it is worth - I have built a boat with twin 40cc chainsaws)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
frank haydu

i was at model power boat and saw this about chains saw motors it looks pretty awsome too me http://www.modelpowerboat.com/conten...cool-an-engine
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great - but the reality is that the Center of Gravity is too high, RPM too low, and amount of work is more than most are able to do. Even the article states "We do not recommend such engines because they run to the wrong side: clockwise.".

I am all for saving $$ and trying new things but this is not new, easy, and not often successful. Add to that the machining of Flywheels is a dangerous practice!

(I am starting to sound old arent I )
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Doubt that you would be happy, chainsaws have their own porting and deliver more torque in different ranges than most of our model engines. I had a Large Stihl that I had a "Hot-Saw" mod. done to it. It was mostly
achieved by port mods. Not inexpensive by the way. (sure ate up big logs fast)
Far less cost and trouble to purchase an engine designed for the application, unless you enjoy tinkering?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
hendocap

If you have enough skill/knowledge to sucessfully machine all the parts to make it work in a R/C Boat, you would think you would have a good paying job to be able to afford a $250 to buy a good watercooled engine thats gonna work much better for your application. After all said and done you would have wish you did. Limited performance with a chainsaw engine. IMO