Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie - Needs help Please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newbie - Needs help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
cswood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Needs help Please!

Hi

Iwas recently given a old bait boat as a present. Ihave read up on numerous websites and forums as to the various motor's, esc's battery packs etc. however the number of diffrent options, specifications etc. has not made finding a solution easy.

The boat requires a new motors, does not have a esc or a battery pack.Servo's and receiver is still working fine.

Can anyone please assist me in making a recomendation as to the most suitable motor, esc and battery pack for my setup (the prop looks a bit small). It is a bait boat, so I do not need thepower of a speed boat, however it would be nice to be able to play around with the boat when not used as a bait boat. As a newby, Ihave no idea as to what will be suitable for this boat.

Ihave read about waterproof units and watercooled units. Are the watercooled units worht the extra buck if used in a bait boat?

The boat weighs 4.9kg's and is92cm long and 37cm wide at the widest point.

Your advise will be highly appreciated as I have no idea what motor and esc to invest in. From reading various posts, choosign the incorrect equipemnt will result in numerous problems e.g. overheating, power loss etc.

I include a few pics.

Thanks

Carel

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89296.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1758924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32894.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1758925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99909.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1758926  
Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
engineman351

Default RE: Newbie - Needs help Please!

Something like these should power that hull:

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB2314 Speed Control
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3105 Motor
http://www.duratrax.com/batteries/dtxc2145.html Battery
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 PM
cswood

Hi

Thanks for the info. I have checked out the links and the equipment looks great.

You mentioned the 550 motor will power the boat. Forgive me for asking, (this is purely because I do not know any better) would it be worth spending a few bucks more and getting a larger motor e.g. 750. (I noted the 750 motors when checking out 550 motors).

Would this be overkill or money well spent?

In the application that I will be using the motor, is there any need to go brushless?

Thanks for the advise. It is highly appreciated.

Carel<o></o>

Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM
engineman351

Carel, Just from the pics of the boat...and the prop they originally used, I'd say a 550 would be all you need. However since the hull is 92x37cm, that is pretty large and could easily handle a 700 or 750 size motor. The real unknown is how the bottom contour, with those underwater fins, affect the planing ability, ride, and handling. If it were me I'd keep it simple and use a common 550 motor used in planes or even Traxxas trucks (both pretty cheap) to power the hull. RC