Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Home built boat

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
hashmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home built boat

Hello so Im new and after a bit of searching I found this site. So what Iwant to do is build a small boat that Ican use to carry out a fishing weight drop it off and come back. Im trying to build the boat from spare stuff and scratch, Ihave a small china rc car that works and an extra medium duty motor that should run off 6 v. The motor is a spare and Ithink it might be a bit useful for its power. The motor and car weigh at 500g and Iwanna add about 1.5-2 k more weight to help kep it balanced. I wanna have a litte weight because Ifish in the ocean and theres swells and it would be transporting about 250-300g of weight. So what Ineed help with is hull design or suggestions, help with weight balancing, ect. Ill try to get some sketchs and pics up as soon as I can.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
hashmaster

Default RE: Home built boat

heres a pic of the inside of the car with my addtional motor. Im still working on a sketch my drawings are usually hard to understand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18258.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1763353  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 PM
BlueWave

I dont think your gonna get a good range with the rc gear. I would image you could cast as far as the range would permit.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Running a bait boat ( because thats what this really is) in ocean swell needs a lot of design thought.  To carry a weight, drop it, and remain stable during both conditions needs a fairly large model, this means plenty of power, probably more than the buggy motor is capable of.  The boat also needs to be big enough to be seen at a distance.  I share bluewave's reservations about the radio range.
There was a thread on another forum regarding a guy in South Africa who was marketing such a device.  There was some muttering about the price (about $1500, if memory is right), but no-one could come up with a cheaper alternative that would give the required performance and reliability in shoreline conditions at anything like the price.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
hashmaster

Well Iwas orignally trying to do both a boat and a car build from pcb up but Icant find any board designs. I figured the range might be a bit short but couldnt Ijust bump up the output power a bit from the transmitter. Iwas also thinking about the idea of a wifi controler Ican get a range of about 40-50m from my phone, ans should get more if I can reporpose a router. The weight and size of the boat Ialready knew would be one of the harder parts. Thats why my orignal idea was to use lead along the bottom center beam to keep it in and a foam filled top thats rounded if it rolls in the water the foam should keep it up and the weights should flip it back right. Size wise Iwas guessing it would need to be about 3 feet long and I can always add a bright paint job and a foam antenna ball for visability. Theres only a few places Iwould use it at the main place is a bay so its not to insane like at the beach the others would be a few freshwater lakes. The thing is its not all that easy to lob a 8 oz lead weight on a conventional reel more then 80 feet or so even harder with braid or heavy mono, not to mention the bait, ive lost plenty of live bait on the cast. And as far as the second motor that Ihave if Iremember right its 1/3 of a hp and the retailer i purchesed it from had the 2 of the same motors in a 50lb RC tug boat that moves along pretty nicely. Ive also used one of the motors to make a shaker table with a 2.5lb oval weight I had to step the power down because it kept breaking the wood so the Id feel safe trying to use that motor to start with. As far as a boat of this design Icouldnt imagine how it would come up to the 1500 dollar range.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Upping TX power will probably give you an outfit that is illegal.  It will certainly bust any FCC validation certificates.  Amplifying a low power, low quality signal results in a higher power low quality signal.  Modern radio outfits are not expensive, in the long run, using new gear designed for the job will save a lot of time and effort, it will also (probably) save the expense of replacing the original boat and radio with the real thing.
The idea of using a foam fin for self righting is not new - I first saw it on a fast electric back in the '80's.
A good google for bait boats should reveal ready made ones, also plenty of threads on various forums where there will be lots of useful information.