Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 fiberglass hull repair help? >

fiberglass hull repair help?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

fiberglass hull repair help?

Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass hull repair help?

I ran my Genesis up on the shore

What would be the best way to go about repairing the hull.<br type="_moz" />
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81064.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1793066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68968.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1793067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24752.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1793068  
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM

Default RE: fiberglass hull repair help?

Sig resin or Bondo. Fill the crack opening with resin and tape closed.use gravity or stand hull on tips to dry. The tips I also used Duck-tape along the inside sponson and top,forming a valley. Set the hull in the proper position. Here I add milled fiberglass to make a paste. Add to the valley you made out of duct-tape. File away the point. after it dries. If you didn't get the proper build up ,make another small pot of resin.
Great Planes Pro milled fiberglass and Sig at your LHS
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wish that was all I had to repair. I have a glass hulled scale hydroplane that I've been refurbishing and found that one area was so thin that JUST TOUCHING IT with the edge of my sander's vibrating pad was enough to go right through the skin. I now have to repair that area and, while I'm at it, will reenforce the same area on the other side of the hull
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM

Do you know what you are doing? or seeking advice?  I found a marine repair place where I will go to get some supplies.  I thought I would just bring the hull to show them and ask what to get/use.<div>
</div><div>I am no stranger to fiberglass work, I used to build custom audio stuff with it, mostly for boats.  Just never had to repair anything on a seam like this.  I also don't see being able to access the hull from inside, which is where I would have repaired from.  Just waiting for some money so I can get some stuff.</div>
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: NobodyFamous

Do you know what you are doing? or seeking advice? I found a marine repair place where I will go to get some supplies. I thought I would just bring the hull to show them and ask what to get/use.<div>
</div><div>I am no stranger to fiberglass work, I used to build custom audio stuff with it, mostly for boats. Just never had to repair anything on a seam like this. I also don't see being able to access the hull from inside, which is where I would have repaired from. Just waiting for some money so I can get some stuff.</div>
get the Dremal out and have at it. re-patch after digging a valley on the seam. remove paint in the area so you get a good bond. Use a good tape to help bring the top and bottom together. A clamp may slide off the hull.

HJ get the fiberglass cloth out and seal over the weak spot. Or put a whole NEW skin on. Yes fiberglass.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM

If it were me I would try to keep the repair simple and without too much external work (keep it pretty). I’d clean up the outside, remove loose pieces, and use some duct tape, with wax paper covering the openings, to pull the breaches closed. Next I would mix a generous amount of fiberglass with some fine matt mixed in and pour it into the boat while its standing 90 degrees on its tips (bow) i.e., let the glass resin flow into the tips and across the damaged area.
Moppie