Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

firt time boat builder

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

firt time boat builder

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
muppit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firt time boat builder

hi guys i have been toying with the idea of building a hydroplane for a while and i think im going to do it. i have the tools and skills been building custom rc monster trucks for years. i just seem to be lost on adhesives or glue if you will. ca glue seems brittle and epoxy never seems to stick well for me. wood glue is great but not water proof. i figure ca tackes everything to gether but finish it all of with epoxy.. tell me if im on the right track with this, it is wath is holding me back from getting started. i have not got a hobby shop near me so links to stuff would be great and all opinions are accepted. i just want this boat to stay together when i run it. i'm no going to race this boat just for fun use when out on the lake for the day. thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
niteshadow

Default RE: firt time boat builder

I am also first time builder,built airplane 60 years ago lol and started to build a 36 inche hydroplane racer
atlas van lines u1 am at point of undercoat and install of running gear.
1..used half hour epoxy thruout
2..have set of plans for atlas van lines hydro pl;ane for sale..$10.. plus shipping[$2.00]
any help i can be email me
thanks
[email protected]
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
muppit

thanks nite shadow that was what i was thinking, was to use the 30 min epoxy. thanks for the plan offer i have a set i'm going to use with a few mods for strength reasons only. is there anything i might need that came as a suprise to you that i should be aware of as a builder. i know i always run into stuff building cars so i do tend to think a bit ahead.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

As a 30 year hydroplane builder, let me give you a few tips I've learned, adhesives first:
1) The slower the cure time of the epoxy you're using the better. I routinely use extra slow West Systems
2) Hobby shop epoxy isn't worth the money. All the epoxy I've purchased at hobby shops has been brittle as heck
3) As you guessed, CA is good for tacking but not for structural bonding. If I use CA, it's the gap filling medium set and that's normally used in conjunction with epoxy.

Now, lets talk materials:
1) AVOID BALSA AND LITE PLY IN ANY STRUCTURAL APPLICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Balsa and lite ply, unless reinforced with fiberglass, are soft and brittle. Unlike in an aircraft, a boat takes a pounding when running at speed. Neither one will take that kind of abuse without cracking or worse
2) AIRCRAFT PLY IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your standard home center plywoods have voids that weaken the material. It also has fewer plys, again meaning weaker. Anything over 3/32" needs to be 5 plys which is unavailible in home centers. I've read where some recommend luan/doorskins. Been there, tried that. I found that the material is actually worse than balsa and lite ply as it's easily splintered and easily cracked
3) Use the thinest material that will work in your application. I recommend the following:
1/32 ply............Could be used for non-running surface skin, tails and wings and some cowling locations over framing
1/16 ply............Most of the framing in a round nose or picklefork boat, all the skin panels
1/8 ply..............Left sponson transom, sponson sheers, on canard equiped boats use for sponson insides and engine bay walls
3/16 or 1/4 ply..Used for right sponson transom and boat transom. 3/16 is used if weight is more of an issue
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM
muppit

hydro junkie im not going to race this boat i'm just going to go in circles around my pontoon boat when we have the kids out on the lake. this will be an electric boat anyway. it seems you are building a strong boat with the type of wood your using and i actually was going to build a couple areas a little stronger like the inside of the sponsons ,the transom an the bottom of the hull itself just for starters. do you have a link for the west systems epoxy. i'll try a search any way
Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

I just listed what materials I know will work and, in the case of a crash or flip, will hold up. I tend to overbuild my boats when it comes to using glue blocks and stringers since I run nitro motors for power. If you would like to see what I have done when it comes to building a sport boat, my steps taken and such, you can check out this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10666178/tm.htm
Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM
muppit

hj i notices you uses spruce, is that as easy to bend as balsa for sheeting. i went through you post and also notices that you renforced most of you joints as i planed on doing. i have a set of plans but as you did they seem more of a place to start than anything else. i realy want to stay away from ca glue,s ,so with that said 30 min epoxy and some tite bond if i can find it. im still in the process of getting supplies were do you recomend gatting the wood.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

I use spruce stick stock and aircraft grade birch plywood to build my boats. There are several options on where to obtain your building materials from.
For spruce stick stock, you can cut your own from boards purchased at the local home center. If you don't have the saws to do so, you can order it on line or check out the local craft and hobby shops.
As far as the plywood goes, your local hobby shop should carry it. If not, you can order it from several mail order suppliers such as Balsa USA, http://shop.balsausa.com for example. Another source would be Aircraft Spruce. You can order pretty much any wood you will need to build your boat from them. Their website is http://www.aircraftspruce.com I buy my plywoods through one of two local hobby shops for the smaller sizes and a specialty wood vendor 90 minutes away for the large sheets.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
muppit

hj thanks for all the good info im sure to make some mistakes as we all do on a first build. but thats part of the fun of this hobby right. well by next summer i should know how my boat held up. thanks again for the info i'm sure to have more questions as i go.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
niteshadow

good luck have fun
art
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM
muppit

thanks again guys you know how it goes decisions decisions decisions. know what i'm using for hardware and esc not sure on motor yet becuase i don't have a weight on the boat yet. any ideas on what a 30 inch hydro made of wood might weigh? and a recomended brushless motor. thinking 36 mm just not sure on kv yet .

Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

I have a 30" nitro powered hydroplane that weighs in at around 5.25 pounds that has a bit more work to do on it so I'm thinking around 5.5 pounds when done