Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

lights on mast

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
JendaDH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights on mast

Hi,

while ago I bought plans and very simple instructions how to build Grimmershorn ( picture) and since this is my first boat and I could not find any more details about the build on the net I would like to get the lights correct on the main mast.
There is like 5 of them and I want to know what color they most likely are in real life.
This boat is not for any competition, just for fun, yet I don't want to go all unrealistic with this.
Thanks for any hints,

J.

If you need to have a look at bluperint where the mast is, let me know and I will post it here.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: lights on mast

Don't know about in Germany but, here in the US, the mast head light is normally white. As for the rest, they should be listed on the plan sheet. If this is a model of a full sized boat, you could also contact the operator or builder and see what kind of information they can give you about it
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
JendaDH

The plan has been published 40 years ago and building instructions don't state what color these lights are and also what are those boxes on the main deck.
I have contacted local boat model club and they might help me out. This is my first boat so it will be good meeting them.
Here is the picture of the blueprint..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49509.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1841498  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
huck1199

The head is white; port on spreader is red and starboard on spreader is green. The spreader lights may be omitted if you have a dual sided light on the bow - red/green for port/starboard. I believe this scheme is international.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I googled for "ship navigation lights" and got lots of explanations and pictures, this http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php being near the top of the list.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 PM
JendaDH

Thanksa lot, will have a look into that. Not sure why I didn't do this in the first place. I was looking for the ship, but it looks like that there was some modernization rebuild done as the ship has different deck...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 PM
JendaDH

ORIGINAL: mfr02

I googled for "ship navigation lights" and got lots of explanations and pictures, thishttp://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php being near the top of the list.
Very nice link, thanks again. Just one more question, the starboard is the actual side view of the boat?
Thanks

J

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM
huck1199

Port is left - sitting in the boat looking to the bow. Starboard is right side.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 PM
w3bby

Starboard is the right hand side of the boat looking from the stern, [link=http://www.sailcorp.com.au/sailcorp-yacht-charters-safety-and-trivia-%E2%80%93-do-you-know-your-port-from-starboard/]diagram here.[/link]

The lights are visible through various arcs depending on there position, port starboard stern etc the basic arcs are shown here

For a full description of all lights and arcs read "The rules of the road" [link=http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/rulesoftheroad.php#partc]here, under lights and shapes.[/link]
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The picture you gave a link to is showing the boat from the starboard side[8D]
As far as what color the lights are, since they are all on the front or right side of the mast, it's hard to say. I wouldn't expect them to be red or green as they don't give port or starboard reference, unless the lense is split internally giving both colors, something done on other boats over the years
Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 AM
JendaDH

Hi Hydro Junkie,

you are right the lights are on the mast either in the middle (facing forward) or on the right side of the mast (as seen on the plan). According to the specification, all should be white. The green and red are located on the cabin on each side.
Many thanks for your input,

J.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 AM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

Could the number of lights and the sequence of their being on/off have been used to show the status of her "tow" ("NOTOW", "TOWASTERN", "TOWALONGSIDE")?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
JendaDH

I am sure that you can accomplish that by using dual color LED's in those lights or even tri-color if needed and small microcontroler that would do the light scheme based on what switch is on or off. Actually this is very good idea and I will try to implement it once I start with the deck structure. Still finishing the hull and current temp conditions are not good for working with epoxy and others, it is too cold here.
Best,

J.