Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

dumas airboats

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 08:53 PM
supafly
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumas airboats

does anyone know anything about the dumas line of airboats i just ordered the windy .10 sized version and would like to see how you guys built yours as well as tips and tricks to building and driving them.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:49 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default dumas airboats

I had a large one with a .40 on it, was fun, went into the lake, then out over the shore, back and forth, they dont jump worth a cr@p, dont ask how I know, hehe

Kinda tricky to drive buy you get used to it
Old 04-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default dumas airboats

I had one with a Hornet .09 engine on it. At first it was very fast with that engine, but one day I was out at the local high school parking lot and was flat giving it He!! then after I fueld up for the 5th time and started off across the lot again I noticed that I couldn't achieve the same speed. I brought it backto me then the cell phone rings so I have to talk for about 20 seconds then when I give it full throttle, the danged thing wouldn't move at all! I picked it up to see what the problem was, the paint had all been removed from the keel and in the curve of the hull. The wood was soaking up water and would re-freeze itself to the ice. I guess it isn't a good idea to travel on hard rugged ice after all. Well anyway, went home and fiberglassed the bottom and up around the sides and top. Now the AP Hornet .09 didn't do much because of weight. I think that a nice hot .25 woulda really picked it up.
They are a real bear to build, not for the beginner. Good Luck
Old 04-24-2002, 06:14 PM
supafly

Default dumas airboats

im putting an os 15fp on it and if that isnt enough ive got an os 25 fx that should do the job. what did you mean by they're a real bear to build? ive built several planes and have all the tools to do the job. what makes it so hard to build? (at this piont i dont have the kit so i dont know how it goes together or anything)
Old 05-07-2002, 08:14 AM
mac473

Default dumas airboats

I built the big swamp buggy and after it was all sealed up I used a 1/4" bit to drill into each chamber and filled them with foam from a can. I put a .61 on mine and it will go airborne if you don't watch out. On the bottom you can use 1/8" thick plastic strips to keep the wood free of dings ect. I also use mine to get my other boats that have stalled out.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:43 AM
Mi Nan

Default dumas airboats

I have a windy swamp buggy,which I've had for years. I had an OS 15 on it but it was to slow for me. I added a piece of quarter inch plywood to the engine mount area. I now have an OS fp 40 on it. It runs great. I tried a Webra 50 on it last summer, This motor would make the boat barrel roll when given full throttle. I put the OS 40 back on it and have been very happy with it
Old 05-11-2002, 03:04 PM
supafly

Default dumas airboats

ya mine's done and i left the bottom keel off that they wanted you to put on so i could drive it on land and it works great on land but i cant get it to go strait on water.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:53 PM
autopilot

Default Airboats

I have a Dumas Gale Force with a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro on it. If you want to know anything about it, just ask me. It will go airborne on any little waves, and I've cartwheeled it twice, but luckily landing on the "right" side both times. :thumbup:
Old 05-14-2002, 12:30 AM
Hughes500Pilot

Default Dumas Windy

I have a Dumas windy with a Fuji IV motor on it. I built is as per the instructions except I glassed the wood and I did not put on the keel.

Since I removed the keel, it takes a bit of getting use to on the water, but I have no problem to get it to go straight. Without the keel I can kick the rudder hard over at full speed, this lets me do a 360 degree rotation while moving at full speed. If I slow down, I can make it do donuts inside of the length of the boat.

I have taken my Windy on land several times. I only run it on wet grass so I do not ruin the bottom glass work. If you do run it on grass, just be sure it is flat or you might hit a dip and flip.

With the Fuji 15, I can get it up to 27 mph on calm water.

-Steve
Old 10-24-2002, 05:42 PM
wallasan10

Default dumas airboats

Hello everyone. How are you getting a .40 size motor to fit on a windy? There is hardly enough prop clearance for a .15 What size prop are you useing? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Mi Nan

Default dumas airboats

I added a piece of plywood to the engine mount area. It raised the engine higher off the deck, so I was able to swing a 10x6 prop.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:41 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default dumas airboats

I don't know about the smaller boats, but the Big Swamp Buggy definitely does a lot better with oversized rudders to help it turn. I grafted on extensions to the original rudders which double the size of the rudders. The boat turns alot better, especially if you're going slow or get it up on land. They're also a blast in the snow if it's not too deep.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:56 PM
wizbow

Default RE: Airboats

[Hey mate, I am currently building my own swamp boat, all i need is the plans on how to turn the rudder. I cant figure out how to mount the survo on the damm thing. And do u reckon you could use an electric motor on it? My email Address is [email protected] if you can help me with me problems. thanks mate Reece
Old 09-17-2003, 05:53 AM
brother

Hey Wizbow, Is your airboat going to be electric? You only mentioned the one servo. It would be a good idea to make a water proof box for it and fix it to the hull. Here is a picture of the first air boat I built. it works great. It has no problems with turning on land or water. It's flaw is that I built it out of birch veneer and hardwood veneer and is filled with expandable foam which made it very heavy for it's size. It is not what you would call fast. My new airboat I am building is made from a piece of 2" foam that I'm covering with 1/16" balsa and then fibreglass. It is three times bigger than the first one and will weigh the same. The angle of the pic isn't the best but it gives you the general idea of how I set it up; if you like I could take a better pic and send it. You could go with a single air rudder if you want, I prefer double air rudders myself. Brother
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64483.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	61818  
Old 09-18-2003, 12:49 AM
wizbow

Hey Brother, I was planning of making it electric as I havnt had much to do with petrol moters before. And your air boat looks awsom and I would really appreciate it if you did send me another picture. Did you build that boat by youself or did you use a plan? Thanks mate. Oh and my real name is Reece
Old 09-18-2003, 05:43 AM
brother

Hey Reece, I designed and built this boat from scratch; I started it about eight years ago and just recently decided to finish it. I work alot so I only have about an hour or so each day to work on my boats or planes. I just started getting into flying, a freind of mine has been teaching me. Boy... is it alot of fun! and he's a good teacher. Plans are ok but I like designing things. For the begining modeler plans or a kit is probably the best way to go. As for the rudders you can use almost any kind of hinge that you want it's up to preference, for the size I make mine about the same size as the prop; I figure the more air you move the faster you can turn. That is why I like two rudders. I like the Windy's that Dumas makes but why buy a kit when I can make it myself? By the way it isn't allways cheaper to design and build it yourself, you still have to buy material. Here are a couple of pic's of the air rudders, I also included a pic of the new hull I am making. Richard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20716.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	62024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59381.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	62025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91889.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	62026  
Old 09-19-2003, 02:07 AM
wizbow

Hey Brother, Its Reece. I am in love with your boat, it looks really good and your new one looks heaps good too. I was planing on making it myself and cost isn't really an issue as i'm only 16 and my dad is very wealthy and is glad that i'm doing something like this instead of going to party's and stuff. My email address is [email protected] so instead of chatting to me hear, could you do so via email please. And with petrol motors, do you have to worry about salt water getting in them and does the salt make them rust or anything like that? I hope to hear from you soon mate. Thanks Reece
Old 09-20-2003, 01:20 AM
wizbow

Hey Richard its Reece, I was wondering if you would be interested in selling the plans of your new Air boat as I think it is a top boat and is allot better then my current boat I am building. So please give it a think and let me no when you have made a decision. Thanks Reece
Old 09-20-2003, 08:10 PM
superflea

Default RE: dumas airboats

hey richard its jim here. just wanted to say the new boat is looking awsome cant wait to see it run. was thinking a 40-50 four stroke would make it scream and would sound good too. but hey hey im just a humble airplane guy. see ya in the air soon
Old 09-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Yogi-Bear

Hey all
this is my boat my thread has been there for a good six months check it out its powered by a .46 irvine it does about 40Km/h on water 360 spins all that good stuff has enough power to go on land havent tried it in the snow i run it on albert park lake in melbourne if anyone needs any info post on my thread
Will

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39.../tm.htm#393992
Old 09-22-2003, 05:12 AM
brother

Hey Reece, The truth is there are no plans; at least not on paper. They're in my head, the new boat is a modified version of the first airboat I built. I sent you an e-mail but I haven't seen a reply; did it make it to you? You are welcome to duplicate my design. It will take a few days but I will but I will get something on paper so that I can send it to you. I have CAD software that I haven't really learned yet I'll see if I can use it to make the plans. By the way I just realized what happened with the e-mail I sent you, I left off the .au, I need to wear my glasses when I surf, LOL. I'm allways squinting at the screen. As I said I will get the plans drawn up and a detailed discription of the building process and send them to you, using the correct e-mail of course LOL. I would appreciate it if you would speek to your father and get his permission for us to communicate via your e-mail address as there is a huge age difference between us. I am 49 yrs. old. Now as to my hull being better than yours, that is a matter of opinion. From what I've seen most people building airboats are using water rudders, what I make are more of a swamp buggy than an air boat; the distinction being I use air rudders rather than a water rudder. Using air rudders the stern of my boat will slide in turns rather than hook sharply with little or no slide using the water rudder. it's a matter of preference as to how you want your boat to perform. At any rate I will talk to you soon. Brother
Old 09-22-2003, 05:21 AM
wizbow

Hey Richard, I didn't get your email. And also my dad doesn't mind, I mean you are only helping me by instructing me on what to do to make a great "Swamp Buggy". I really appreciate it that you are going to send me the plans of you boat. Also are you located in Australia or America? I ask because just below your name it says WA and in Australia there is a state called W.A.... OK thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. Thanks Reece
Old 09-22-2003, 05:34 AM
wizbow

Does anybody know any good Swmap boat web pages as I have searched and searched and haven't found any......
Old 09-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Yogi-Bear

wizbow check my post there is a link to my site and another one which is great
Old 09-23-2003, 03:26 AM
wizbow

Hey Yogi-Bear thanks for replying but I am unsure on how to check your post as I am new to this site so a little more info would be great. Thanks Wizbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.