Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

drive system advice needed

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

drive system advice needed

Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM
shark again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive system advice needed

Someone gave me a half completed Sterling Chris Craft kit and I am trying to complete it. It's about 31 inches long and fairly light wood construction. I fiberglassed the hull and painted it, stained and varnished the mahogony parts, and now am working on the running gear. I have a Futaba cheapy am 75 - two channel - radio and have installed a 540 brush type motor. I had a Jeti 350 speed control from an old plane and that seems to make it run ok - (at least no smoke so far). The trouble is, I would like to be able to reverse the boat. I could hook up a dpdt switch and flip it with a servo, I suppose, but I don't have a spare channel to use. It seems like there should be a better way to get reverse. Do I need a better radio and/or better speed control? What is a good transmitter to use for boats if you want more channels for lights, horns, etc.?
I have flown model planes - glow power, not much electric - but I don't know anything about model boats.
Thanks for any advice.
Jim S.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will probably have to buy an electronic speed control with reverse built in. It should be inexpensive seeing how you're using a brushed motor.
You might want to check in with the Scale boat forum as they can give you some better replies to your questions.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 AM
mfr02

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Most marine ESCs are center off, forward and reverse. There are plenty on fleabay with dubious specifications - the "320" Amp ones might be OK, but ignore the ones that are intended for trucks and have a brake function - go for one that says "Without Brake". Then there are the recognized makes like Mtronics, Electronise, Action for not that much more. Probably a bunch of US makes as well, but I'm in the UK, so not familiar with them.
Before sailing with reverse, make sure that the prop is properly lock-nutted to the shaft, preferably with a bit of thread lock compound just to be sure. In normal drive, most props tend to self tighten - in reverse the opposite applies. Lots of second hand props on lake bottoms.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:42 PM
shark again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - I bought a Tazer 15T speed control from a Hobby Shop. It's waterproof and has reversing, seems to work just fine. Now I need a bunch of hardware to put on it - railings, anchor, lights, horn, etc.
I wish it was summer so I could try it out - we just got hit with a snowstorm, no boating for a while!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm felling your woe bro as I'm on the worst side of the Big Lake. I'm sitting here in the dark right now with a little generator powering the important stuff, the fridge and the computer. The power company is saying right now that it might not be back on until Friday. Icy and snow-covered roads. The ice is taking down a lot of trees which in turn takes down power lines.