Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prather Commander vs Commander II (46")

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Prather Commander vs Commander II (46")

Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
westwind77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prather Commander vs Commander II (46")

1st post!

I was curious if there was a hull desgin difference between the Prather Commander and the Commander II? It looks like the 'II" version was just offfered RTR with an engine, correct? I know this is an older boat, I had one years ago and it was stolen from my storage location (11cc). I was thinking about picking one up again. There seem to be a lot of builders on the market now, any good recomondations? I love the Bonzi line, especially the 47" skater, but that is big $$$ without a paint job even. I am open to lengths 46" to 55", so feel free to toss out any ideas. If there is some reason to avoid the older commander (like avalablity of parts) please let me know.

Thank you!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Prather boats like the Commander's were Sport boats, that's it. Bonzi's prices are insanely high.
OK, to the basics. What are you looking for? Hull style? RTR or build it yourself? Price range?
Prather went out of business but Hyperformance Products is now selling a lot of Terry's line at www.hyperprod.com .
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM
westwind77

Thanks for the responce! I am looking to have fun, no racing. I would like a deep V mono hull as the wind where I live seems to always blow a bit, also why I wanted to stick to the larger sizes as well. RTR is always the easiest option, but I am open to almost ready to run as well. I am not looking for a bare hull that I have to do everything with, but I do not mind a little work on my end to get it going. Price range, I don't really want to go over $1,000 but I am not against it if I have to. I do not see the Commander listed on the site, but I do see it in his 13' price list so I will send him and e-mail to inquire about it. I am not looking for the fastest rig on the water but I'm not looking for anything slow either. Hope that answered the questions! Thank you!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:38 PM
westwind77

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
Prather boats like the Commander's were Sport boats, that's it. Bonzi's prices are insanely high.
OK, to the basics. What are you looking for? Hull style? RTR or build it yourself? Price range?
Prather went out of business but Hyperformance Products is now selling a lot of Terry's line at www.hyperprod.com .
I have sent Hyperprod 2 e-mails about the Prather line but have not heard back, do you know if they are still in business? E-mails are easier for me due to time constraints during the day and I have had no issues with other dealers.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As you've probably already seen I'm not a big fan of Bonzi' boats but he did just roll out a RTR Aeromarine Scorpion hull RTR minus a radio system. For the going price he might have been able to toss in a low buck FM or 2.4 Gig system. http://www.bonzisports.com/boats/aeromarine-scorpian-50 . The guy can't spell Scorpion correctly! It makes me wonder why he chose the Aeromarine hull over one of his as he bought out the Warehouse Hobbies molds plus he already had his own line of hulls.
Anyway, I'm just throwing it out there.

As far as I know Hyperformance is still in business. Why he isn't responding to your e-mails is way beyond my control. Try contacting Aeromarine sometime! We think that Remy leaves his phone off the hook!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
2916jr

Wharehouse Hobbies is bringing back the Super G, Maybe that could be a possibility?

http://whobbies.com/product.php?id=698