Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scale boat propulsion choices

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Scale boat propulsion choices

Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM
John Vennerholm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale boat propulsion choices

First boat build after 41 years of competition soaring.and scratch building sailplanes---!

I'm scratch building a 1:66 scale RC model of a ferry called Scillonian III which runs from the Scilly Islands off SE coast of UK to/from Penzance.(Cornwall)

Boat hull is planked wood with fiberglass finish with following specs;
WL length 36 ", Beam 6", Draft 1-5/8", Displacement 6.8 lbs, Scale speed desired 23 ft/min., Hull shape - cargo.
Twin screw, 4-blade 1.2/1.2 opposing props, , Individually reversible motors, 12 V motor power, Futaba Tacit 2.4 TX/RX already revised for dual throttle sticks.

Would appreciate any recommendations on motor/gearbox choice and sourcing.
Any HELP out there?
Thanks,
John V., Cocoa, Florida
Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Using the theories that get used in marine test tanks, I think you should be looking for something nearer 3 ft/second at 1:66. Divide by the square root of the scale.
A pair of very generic 385 motors (5 pole type, up to 15 volts) from almost any hobby source that deals with models should be OK, nothing special. Should be just fine on direct drive. If they are a bit exuberant, you don't need to use full power.
BTW, if you go to SE England for a look at the real thing, its a long walk. She operates in the far SW. Good Wiki article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMV_Scillonian_III