Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

help

Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM
yoshi12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

i need help my drive shaft is shaking to much and i was thinking it might be because the drive shaft is to loose in the stuffing tube how can i fix this problem the stuffing tube is 3mm and the drive shaft is 1mm should i buy another one or is there a way to fix it any suggestions would help
Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 PM
rhardy60

Originally Posted by yoshi12
i need help my drive shaft is shaking to much and i was thinking it might be because the drive shaft is to loose in the stuffing tube how can i fix this problem the stuffing tube is 3mm and the drive shaft is 1mm should i buy another one or is there a way to fix it any suggestions would help
What kind of boat ? It could be bad bushing or bad bearing or the rubber stuffing tube .
Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 AM
yoshi12

its a proboat 26 shockwave and the stuffing tube is brass and there arent really any bearings that came i changed the original drive shaft because it was broke and i think the new one is to loose inside the stuffing tube what should i do. please help
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM
coriolan

The prop shaft is actually 3mm(1mm would be very tiny!)the shaking might be caused by misalignment of the universal at the motor/shaft link or at the steerable strut at extreme angle.
http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInf...150-Manual.pdf
Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It should be 1/4".
The shaking can come from worn bushings but I'm putting my money on an out of balance prop. The props that come with the boats aren't very sharp nor have they been balanced. Hopefully you've kept the cable greased otherwise it can wear out parts quickly. They make a nasty noise when they need a lubing. Those boats were also notorious for the stuffing tube being out of alignment.

Right now I'll post on about anything to keep those RC Surfers off the top!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 AM
yoshi12

what do mean out of balance shaft how can i fix this problem
Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
rhardy60

Originally Posted by coriolan
The prop shaft is actually 3mm(1mm would be very tiny!)the shaking might be caused by misalignment of the universal at the motor/shaft link or at the steerable strut at extreme angle.
http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInf...150-Manual.pdf
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
It should be 1/4".
The shaking can come from worn bushings but I'm putting my money on an out of balance prop. The props that come with the boats aren't very sharp nor have they been balanced. Hopefully you've kept the cable greased otherwise it can wear out parts quickly. They make a nasty noise when they need a lubing. Those boats were also notorious for the stuffing tube being out of alignment.

Right now I'll post on about anything to keep those RC Surfers off the top!
Are u running stock prop is what he's saying if it's a after market prop it's needs sharping an balance before use .

Last edited by rhardy60; 06-27-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Ron Olson

An out-of-balance prop can cause undue wear on the rest of the driveline and it's not good for onboard radio equipment either. Larger props like the ones on gas boats are worse just because they're bigger and be subject to having them being really far off. I used to do all of my own prop work and on some of the gas boats props I'd have to take a lot of weight off one blade. If the strut has a worn bushing in it that can also make the cable move around a lot.

Check the prop and cable for any slop as there should be very little to none. If that's reasonably good then it's a prop.

Last edited by Ron Olson; 06-27-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:50 AM
yoshi12

its not its a plastic prop
Old 06-27-2014, 01:37 PM
rhardy60

its not its a plastic prop
Is it sharpen an balance ? If not that's might be your problem , stuffing tube is worn out . jmo
Old 06-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Ron Olson

Stock is a Prather 270, stainless steel.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not on a 26 inch boat...