Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing an R/c boat! help! beginner!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Choosing an R/c boat! help! beginner!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM
cko1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing an R/c boat! help! beginner!

Hello, I'm trying to buy an r/c boat for taking the bait out while fishing. I looked at the Surge Crusher Brushless Twin-Hull R/C Boat (730mm) Plug-n-Drive. I need it to go far out, vision is no problem since it will be attached to a string. Here are some questions:

*I have the hobby king 2channel 2.4ghz radio system, how much of a range will I get on it and will it be compatible?

*Is this boat compatible for salt water? *If the radio system I currently have doesn't give me much of a range, what do you recommend?

* Will the Traxxas 6509 TQi 2-Channel 2.4GHz Radio System with Receiver, be compatible with the boat and give me a long range?
Please reply so that i can go on with the purchase.

here is a link to the boat

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17612__Surge_Crusher_Brushless_Twin_Hull_R_C_Boa t_730mm_Plug_n_Drive_USA_Warehouse_.html
Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Its a sport boat intended for smooth lakes and fairly close quarter action rather than doing work and carrying a load.
Attaching a line is fraught with potential problems. The water cooling and drive system will work in salt water, BUT will need fairly comprehensive servicing after each session if it is to be used more than once. Have you considered a bait boat? They are designed with the intention of carrying a load out to the site and have a means of dumping it when required. Usually, they come with the right kind of radio.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 AM
cko1992

thank you for your reply, I've considered the bait boat, but the operating range is rather short according to the reviews. I do not mind the servicing as long as I can get it beyond to a point where my eyes can see. In addition I will be using the boat only when the waters are fairly calm.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 AM
mfr02

If you want range, avoid any radio with any hint of "Park" in the name or specification. Look for words like "full range". This should give you several hundred yards with a sensibly sited receiver. For more than 100 yards, you need to be able to see the boat clearly, you also need to be able to see which way it is pointing, otherwise you are not controlling, just guessing and offering suggestions. Any boat pulling a line needs power. Not speed, but power to pull against the drag of the line in the water both to get where it is going and to steer. A third channel is needed to operate the release.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Hujo

I just recently bought a Proboat Impulse 31 V2 and got 2 free 2s Lipos with it. I love it. Check out its maiden voyage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWE...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Better check with your states Fish and Boat Commission to see if a boat of this kind is allowed.I wanted to use an r/c boat to take my line with bait out into the water or to actually fish with the boat,because I'm having trouble with my shoulders(arthritus) and it is hard and painfull to cast out.They said it wasn't allowed in PA for any reason,so I don't fish as much any more.If my shoulder is feeling a little better I'll try fishing,but the pain after doing it, makes me hesitate in doing it again.I'm thinking of contacting some state government official and see if they could get some kind of legislation to allow people with disabilities to use an r/c boat to in this way to do a sport they enjoy.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 AM
mfr02

Originally Posted by Hujo
I just recently bought a Proboat Impulse 31 V2 and got 2 free 2s Lipos with it. I love it. Check out its maiden voyage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RWE...ature=youtu.be
How does it perform when towing a line? Just trying to add some relevance to the OP