Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wanted: simple and reliable motor set up recommendations

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Wanted: simple and reliable motor set up recommendations

Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM
white_chev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: simple and reliable motor set up recommendations

Hi there. I am working on a project and I would like to have recommendations for a simple and reliable motor/drivetrain set up for an RC boat. The boat will be used in a visual art film project- I really have no experience with RC so please bear with me...

Here are the details:

The hull of the boat will be made from hammer-formed aluminum and will measure approximately 36" long by 12" wide.

The boat needs to motor away from the camera in a relatively straight line- I do not need to be able to steer the boat but simply control its rate of speed in a forward direction.

I need to be able to control the boat with a range of approximately 50 feet.

I am looking for a very simple solution- something that will not require a lot of troubleshooting and will be easy to instal and set up. I am open to all suggestions but I am thinking electric/battery would be the best option.

Thanks kindly,

chris
Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Unless you are very lucky with both the build and conditions, you will need to steer the boat to go in a straight line - also if you intend to get it back, or come round again for a retake. Most radio outfits today will happily range out to over a quarter of a mile, but avoid "park flyer" outfits. The receiver aerial will need to be mounted above the hull line, since it is being made of radio shielding material. Many radio outfits come with a servo or two, if not, the seller can usually add them to the shopping list. You will also want a speed control (ESC). Which particular one depends on the motor, this in turn depends on how much performance you want and the hull design.