Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Introduction and question about west systems epoxy

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Introduction and question about west systems epoxy

Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Vraneth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and question about west systems epoxy

Hi all.

new to the forums and here to help research and ask about my first boat build. After picking up a traxxas blast I decided to make my own boat from the Prowler plans.

looking forward to the build, I currently have all the wood, patterns cut out in paper, and some 105/205 west systems epoxy, so hopefully this or next week the build will commence!!

quck question about the epoxy though. The instructions with it say to use a filler like the 406 filler when using the epoxy to bond. Is this a requirement or just something that they suggest using?

thanks all, and I hope I can keep you all posted on my build!! Looking to go for a dual motor set-up in this boat so hopefully get some decent speed and power from the system
Old 09-07-2014, 02:40 AM
w3bby

The epoxy is very runny so when glueing yes it is advisable to use colloidal silica as a thickener so that it stays where you want it. You can also fillet the joint for extra strength (but added weight).
Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Vraneth

Ok, I'll get hold of some filler. Still got the wood to cut down so a bit of time to get it ordered

thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would recommend getting the pump set and some 206 hardener as well. 205 sets up within a few minutes, temperature dependent where 206 will give you around double the working time
Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 AM
Vraneth

Hi,

thanks for the few bits of advice. I think that at the moment the ambient temperatures will give me time to work with the 205 - been in the UK and entering winter - by the time i come to epoxy (approx 2 weeks max im hoping) it should be well below 15 centigrade at the times im working on the project.

Also for the pumps, i had read a lot that in smaller amounts and for some larger amounts using some accurate scales is just as effective - as i have a good set of scales accurate to .01 grams im hoping that they will be good enough for me to measure mix's. Ill be doing a test mix over this week for my traxxas blast that has some mods im working on (ill start a thread for that once i have it finished).

Thanks again,
joe
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also be aware that it may get thinner just before it starts to set and the filler will keep it from running. Must be an exothermic reaction that heats the resin. I have had some runs after brushing it on vertical surfaces and thinking it was looking great.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Vraneth

Ill make sure im careful, thank you. May be able to get to test a bit out tonight to seal and coat a little block of wood im putting on my blast. (Then i just need to figure out how to move the COG forwards on the blast hmmm)