Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Building my own boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Building my own boat

Old 10-09-2014, 03:29 PM
qoloR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building my own boat

Hey guys, totally new member here. Here's a little background.

I am a high school student. It has long since been a dream of mine to build a boat like this however I never had the funds, motivation or knowledge (?) to do it.

Heres what I am working with. This is a hand made boat that my father made a long time ago.

I am looking for something that can run on an 11.1v lipo (a 2200mah 25c, can go bigger, have the charger for it.)

Also, would like it to be pretty quick, 20-30 MPH on a flat lake. Would like it to be single rudder to steer and a single propeller.

I have good soldering abilities, basic common sense, and funds. Also good dremel skills with basically every bit that is for sale.

If the spoon feeding is wrong, then please say so. I will gladly do research, I just want to be pointed in the correct direction right now. I need to sand everything down and reseal it with epoxy and sand the bottom of the boat. I also need to install a fin on the bottom to help it stay straight.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have much info on parts and sources to offer (I have been pretty exclusive of large gas boats) but looming at the hull it looks to be a sailboat or displacement hull (fishing boat or similar). I am not sure the hull will lend itself to higher speed handling.

Certainly a great project and hopefully you will see some guidance from others here too.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:16 PM
qoloR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Unfortunately I don't have much info on parts and sources to offer (I have been pretty exclusive of large gas boats) but looming at the hull it looks to be a sailboat or displacement hull (fishing boat or similar). I am not sure the hull will lend itself to higher speed handling.

Certainly a great project and hopefully you will see some guidance from others here too.
Yeah, it's actually a "lightning". I am mainly curious to use it as my first bed. It was intended as a sailboat but I suck at sailing.

Thanks!