Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dumas 4ft PT 109 hull question.

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Dumas 4ft PT 109 hull question.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 AM
bgordon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dumas 4ft PT 109 hull question.

The directions state that the hull is laid up with polyester resin and fiberglass cloth mat. That the best adhesive for attaching anything to the hull is polyester resin. Without special prep epoxies do not bond well to the hull. To a lesser degree the same is true cyanoacrylates. Reason being that the process they use has a very thin top layer that is only 1/2 cured. Finishing resins are available in hobby shops. My question is, I have had this kit for years, is the use of these resins still necessary, with the changes in all things hobby. As I remember resins had considerable fumes to go with them...

Last edited by bgordon; 02-24-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added more
Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 PM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bgordon
I have used the expoy resins on my last two boats,but, I tried using matting on the inside of one.
I pain in butt!!!
So on the outside I gave in two coats of resin with a good sand down between coats.
Re sand on the second coat to smooth it out and for the paint to grip.
Yes resins still have the fumes.
Outside the best idea.
I resins coat some balsa wood and turn it into hardwood!!!
Are you going for the 3 motor setup with 3 rudders or single prop and single rudder??
A fellow club member is going for the first!!
He has 75% built has PT boat, but, its a 587 I think(I seen a plastic kit of the same in a hobby shop).
Has is about the same size as yours.
He ask me to work out a setup for 3 motors on one channel with the two outer motors linked to the rudder servo!!!
He would like the outer motors to slow the inner one and speed up the outer to improve cornering!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 AM
bgordon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get my brain straight here. The thin coating is on the outside of the hull. It needs the resin treatment. Does the inside need the treatment? I will use 3 motor setup .
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I resin coated the side it seals better than paint.
I double coated the outside without fibreglass matting.
I think our club member is using 28mm turnigy tr2217/20 motors either the 860kv( 3s battery 9546 rpm) or the 1050kv(3s battery 11655rpm) on 3 bladed 35mm props.
These only use 35a esc's but the hobbyking site does not say what wattage they use, as with a number of they productions.
As he is looking for scale speed not insane speed.
My 850mm long off shore racer had a 800watt 3639-1100kv (12,210 rpm)motor in it and was over scale.
But been a rev head i replaced it with a 3648-1450kv (1600watts) in 3-4 inch waves the boat skips from one wave to the next.
I was think of a quad heli mixer for the motors but i no knowlodge of them.
I am going to test 3 servo testers (hobbyking part number hksst) as i have one(ordering 2 more) and it defaults to manual pot drive which you can connect an esc to and set up a linage system with the rudder servo.
I found the servo tester resets esc's when they get their knicks in a knot and not work with your radio system.
So i carry the tester in my transmitter case always!!