Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to the game with Rio 51z gas

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to the game with Rio 51z gas

Old 03-27-2015, 04:54 PM
krhughes99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the game with Rio 51z gas

looking for any guidance for this new venture.

Landed in my position this winter and did nothing with it but put it together so far.

Just looking for some experienced guidance as to how to proceed.

Is there anything special that I should do to get ready? Any advice with the break-in?

Also interested in what this thing can do in 1 to 2 foot waves?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight into what I've gotten myself into........

P.S. any examples of design configuration would be great.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

AquaCraft has a great manual that come with each of their boats, read it well.
I run what I'm always to to run in my gas boats the rest of the time. You just might want to run it a little richer the first few times out.
It's not a big wave boat despite its size.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
krhughes99

Thanks Ron.
I will follow the manual as it states, I was just wondering if anyone had any additional "hints" that they have learned over time.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Ron Olson

One big issue that I've seen is the driveline. Get a spare flex cable assembly as you're going to need it, that's not an if but a when. I've wanted to get my hands on one for a day or two to see if there is another or better way to do it. The only upside is that when the cable lets loose of the propshaft, you won't lose a prop.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:08 PM
krhughes99

Is this based upon hitting something (i.e. the ground, debris) or just malfunction?
based upon your reply, I will make the order.

Also, when you said that "this isn't a big water boat" what can it stand up too.

I live on a 300+ acre, all-sports lake and the water gets pretty churned up. I have a couple of coves that are "no wake" zones but there is still some small chop at times.

Would just like to know if I can run thru some small waves.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Ron Olson

When you're talking 1 and 2 foot waves, that's a challenge for any RC boat. Rollers are one thing, chop is another.
As for No Wake zones, people can be anal there. Although boats like the Rio 51Z isn't really a wake-maker, most like boats that go slow through there so you might get some complaints about zooming through them.
You learn to drive with the conditions, what the boat can and can't take.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:17 PM
krhughes99

Thanks again Ron.
I really appreciate the time and wisdom you have provided.
Any other info./tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Ron Olson

Some guys that I ran with on Sunday mornings had both versions, The original and the Z. I had another from Battle Creek that we've run with. The guy from BC had a constant problem with the flex cable.
If I had one I'd ditch the cable oiler tank and just grease the cable. It's not hard to grease it with the drive setup plus it's a weight loss. Mike set the boat up so that the center of gravity wouldn't change much as the tanks emptied.
I did come really close to buying one. I went to a swap meet in Fort Wayne, IN and they had the original ones new for $350.00. Most bare hulls will cost you that much so tossing out the Fuji in favor of another engine wouldn't have been a loss.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not run the boat in any conditions where waves would be more than a few inches. As for "NO WAKE ZONES and WAKE ZONES" NEVER and I mean NEVER run your boat in a location where there are full sized vessels or people in the water. Accidents can only happen if you let them happen. An RC Boat could well sink a full sized boat or kill someone swimming in the water (not being overly dramatic here - it has happened and can happen).

Learn to run your boat in calm conditions before you consider tackling any chop. The RIO is not a very solidly made boat - the pounding of chop will easly dislodge very vital components. With experience you will learn modifications of how to reinforce the boat, hardware, mounts, electronics, hull etc. But for now - learn the boat and the controls.

On a side note - check that there is floatation in the hull and hatch - I am not sure the RIO has any from the factory. Install pieces of pool noodle or similar into the nose of the hull and silicon some to the underside of the hatch.

Also - have a safe method of retrieval in place. Not sure where you are located but around here the water temp is around 35 degrees. You try to swim for the boat in those temps and you wont live to tell about it.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 PM
krhughes99

Thanks for your advice Justaddwata, I appreciate any and all advice that everyone has to offer being new to this game.

I would not run the boat in a "No Wake" zones if there was anyone in there.
I have several choices in these zones and only one where someone would be swimming most of the time and I would make sure that there was no one in there.
I have a bass boat that I can run the Rio from and that is the form of retrieval that I am planning on using.
As for the chop on the water, I figured as much, but the "Open Water" can get really screwed up on any given day so just wondering because of the size of the boat.
And thank you for the "floatation" advise, that is something that I hadn't thought about. What a great tip.

Thanks again for all of your input............ This and Ron's input is the type of info. I need.
Again, just a newbe, dumb a** that is trying to get a clue before I go to the water
Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Ron Olson

Don't sweat the dumb-ass stuff as we were all new boaters at one time. I've been in this for a while but am still learning every day. Even with all of the years I've got in this I also have my newbie days, more than I'd rather admit to.
Oh yeah, it's the context in here that you can use ass. I can call myself one but can't call you one.
Most RTR boats don't come with floatation but it's very cheap insurance. Two bucks worth of pool noodles can save your boat.
It sounds like you're already smart about where to run your boat. I run on water from ponds on up to nice sized lakes. It's surprising that around here that sometimes we can have a lake to ourselves. One is really too weedy for full-sized boats but clear enough where we run.