Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Motor and ESC Question

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Motor and ESC Question

Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM
StVito89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Motor and ESC Question

I have and old Kyosho Viper R that I finally got running again but it doesn't have and ESC and the stock motor is very underwhelming I am looking to get a motor and ESC on a budget. I don't need anything too crazy just want to update my old boat and was hoping someone could give a few suggestions. I'm also not sure what size ESC or motor I need.

Thanks,
Steven.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM
mug

I have a Kyosho Viper 2 that I want to do the same upgrade.
Living in Ohio it's hard to find a hobby shop that knows anything about boats, I've called a half a dozen. I went to the hobby shop and they gave me a Sidewinder 3 4600KV kit with a speed control...Well I can say that is not a good match. It didn't get hot, but the ESC kept cutting out. I'm not sure what that was all about? I know nothing about the brushless set ups. I just want something reliable that will replace the 540 motor. I'm hoping they will take it back and maybe I can get a lower KV motor.

From some extensive searching a Leopard 3650 3650KV or a Leopard 3650 3900KV may put you in the NiCD NiMH or 2s 7.4V ball park. No idea on a ESC
The longer motor cased 3674 2200kv motors seem more for people who want to run 4s multiple celled battery's. I've seen a 3674 kit with a ESC rated at 90A
Traxxas velineon brushless motor system VXL6s for boats ( this is a longer motor than the 540 brushed). The 380 and the 540 for RC cars might not have enough torque, at over 3,000 KV/RPM per volt
There may certainly be better brands, Neu seems about the be$t, AuquaCraft may be good? but the Leopard's are mainly what I found suggested for the Viper.
The recommended metal Octura props were X432, X435 and the x438 for the High performance motor. They are better, but you gotta grind and balance those or pay more than the prop costs to have it done for you.
Keeping it simple Mine has a Plastic Octura x431 But I have ordered the Y534 to try and would have defiantly ordered the plastic Y531 if I could find it in stock anywhere.

Feel free to chime in if this any of this sounds like a good set up. I have been looking for answers as well and hate to drop another 100+ bucks and find out that it will not work.

Just for kicks...This guy on utube has the old Viper dialed in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_j25Hhqebg"RC Boat Kyosho Viper with 4S"

Last edited by mug; 05-28-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adding additional information and corrections
Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good cheap start a Hobbyking 3660Sl-2050kv 1800watts(30340rpm on 4S), 120A ESC, 5800mah 4S 60C battery and 37mm x 1.4 pitch prop 3 blade(CODE 215000032-0).

If you get a ESC which handles the max of the motor you can change the battery to 5S(add another 7600rpm),6S or 7S.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 AM
mug

I'm glad to have some additional input after posting the question on two forums and waiting almost 3 weeks.
I'm guessing the 24-25" boats are not as popular, most of the popular deep V's I've seen are in the larger 30+ inch range and are made of Fiberglass.
Thank you Canabus, it sounds like a good set up to try. I was wondering if a 3660 would have enough torque for the boat. I tried a 3650 and it seemed to lack the torque needed. The 3650 sidewider 3 at 46000KV My local hobby shop recommendation was a bad pick. A lower KV 3650 may make the Viper Fly, I'm not sure.
I have heard some Hobby King horror stories, but I see quite a few people must shop there.

In my three week wait I have run the stock brushed 550 motor on 3S with a Y531 prop, Hobbywing 1060 speed control, not caring if it fried the motor...(My brother said HPI makes a really good 18V 550 for under $15.00 that I have been wanting to have a reason to try.) It was a beast for the full run, it was hard to control at 1/2 throttle. It blew the hatch cover off, it's at the bottom of our lake. ( Note to self... Add some foam floats to the next Hatch!!) The speed control stayed at a reasonable temperature, barely getting warm, the motor however was way too hot with out any cooling. I have purchased some cooling equipment from Offshore Electrics for the boat and need to get that installed before the next run.
That being said, I was ultimately happy enough with the run time and the performance of the 1060 ESC, 550 brushed motor, running on Lipos.
If I run 3S in the future It will be with Trim tabs and possibly turn fins to help gain some additional control of the boat.

It seems when you run NiCD or NiMH you get a minute or two of quick running fun, then your speed drops dramatically for the rest of the run. The lipo's seem to deliver the power and run better all the way through the run. Making Lipos a nice worth while upgrade.

I now have a 3674 1900 KV Leopard motor and a cheap 100A water cooled Mystery Cloud ESC that I intend to modify as recommended for better cooling. I went with a lower KV hoping to raise the voltage and in turn lower the Amps. My intention was to run this in this setup in my little Kyosho Viper boat 3S to 5S, but I picked up an old FliteCraft Miss Outlaw hull "$15.00 Cheap" and although its an air boat, it looks like this set up may be a better fit on the bigger boat. I have to figure out what would be a good 9" to 10" prop for the fully loaded 2060 grams 4.5lb boat.

Thank You

Last edited by mug; 06-16-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mug
The 3650 motor is only 400watts and would not pull the skin off a custard!!!
Lipo batteries are to way to go, far longer run time.
I am running a 24" vee with a Hobbyking outboard 28mm motor 700watts with a 60A car ESC(size and weight).
The problem is no spare flex drives and I got a spare from a local suppler at $10AU but I was reordering more(price increase to $20AU).
I did not reorder!!
Boat wise with a 2650mah 3S 30C battery on stock 2 blade 30mm x 1.4 pitch prop it's very quick.
Yes I tried it on 4S dam quick, sat up on the prop in a straight line on flat water!!
As you may have found the battery, size,location and weight is the biggest problem is a small boat.
It's a balance act between speed and run time.
Hobbyking I had only one problem with incorrect size bearing in a prop shaft kit and it was cheaper to order spares instead of sending them back.
Motors, ESC's, Batteries, servos, wire, heat shrink, connectors and radios I have not had a problem.
One of my other boats is a 36" heavy vee running a 3639-1100kv on 4S( not recommended battery)with a 37mm x 1.4 pitch 3 bladed prop and a car 60A ESC.
Run two 5800 mah batteries, one after the other, and the motor and ESC only warm(no cooling on the motor).
Total run time 1and1/2 hours and we ran it HARD!!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:59 AM
mysteryrc

I had the viper many years ago. ESC went up in flames. Only thing I have left is the stock Lemans 540. Lol.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Patrick125

A good place to look for your motor is hobbypatz, you can get brushless motors at a reasonable price. About the motor, the tacon 2858 9turn 3200kv would be a good motor for that boat. You can run 2s and 3s lipos with that motor. You can find the motor at this link http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m285-2858-3200kv-9t.html. You can also get your speed control from the same place, try anywhere from a 60 to a 120amp esc. I would recomend this esc http://www.hobbypartz.com/se12b.html. The motor is less than $29 and the esc is around $83 you will need good connectors for the battery, deans connectors should work well for that boat with the listed esc and motor. That boat should have a submerged drive so stick with a 32mm prop, example octura x432 or eqivalent.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM
mug

I guess anyone with the Viper should be able to make a good motor ESC pick.

My many thanks to everyone who replied on the forum
Old 07-16-2015, 04:56 AM
dontrinko

In Ohio "Dads toy store" in Wapakeneta is the only real hobby shop any where near me. He is near Grand lake st Mary so he does have a lot of boat stuff. His directions and phone are on the web. Don