Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New Hobbyist

Old 05-29-2015, 03:08 PM
wayne2oo8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hobbyist

Hello,

I'm new here so forgive me if i'm posting in the wrong section. I am wanting to get into RC boats just as a hobby and I have been looking at RTR kits, 'enforcer' brand to be specific. Being new to this, do you guys recommend buying a RTR just to familiarize myself with RC boat infrastructure? I think I would eventually like to build a custom one from the ground up (buying hull, motor etc), but I'm sure its not that simple. Does this hobby take years of experience before being able to build something custom? I am specifically interested in engine/nitro builds only as a pose to electric.

Maybe someone has a good introduction thread to custom building but any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

-Wayne

Last edited by wayne2oo8; 05-29-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Silver Lotus

If you like scratch building stuff, and doing research, just go ahead and build yourself a custom model-- then find out if you like RC boating or not. If you don't like it (I find sailing around very relaxing), at least you'll have a model to look at when you're done.
Otherwise,I'd just buy a RTR, and if you don't like it, you can sell it or toss it in the garbage.
Personally, I started out with zero boating experiance,but with a set of vague performance requirements about what I wanted out of the boat, and where I was going to sail it (very important), and how I was going to transport it around (very, very important), started it last December, and just did it.
And now I have this --thing!
Happy sailing--maybe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gun boat 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	2099450   Click image for larger version

Name:	spashy2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	2099451  
Old 05-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Silver Lotus, I don't see anything wrong with your "Thing". If it floats like a boat, moves like a boat and does so in a way you like, all is good.
Wayne, he brings up some excellent points. Where you plan on running and how you transport your boat to that site are very important. Even more important is finding out if your chosen site is legal to run at. In my area, there are several prime lakes and ponds that are illegal to even have an R/C boat at. Others only allow electric power and some have speed limits on everything that floats.
As far as RTRs, they are an easy way to get into the hobby. What you have to remember is that SIZE DOES MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A small boat won't handle as rough of water as a larger one. I have boats in the 40-50" range that don't work well in anything over an inch of chop due to their design while others have some that love chop larger than 4". The conditions you plan on running in are just as important as the boat in this case.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bonzi' Motorsports are now selling the Warehouse Hobbies boats. I don't know if they're offering the boats as kits but when Tony owned WHH, they offered them as a complete kit where you could assemble them yourself or get them in any other stage of build. The hulls were pre-drilled so you just had to bolt everything in.
For a first-time boater you can go either route with their boats. The kit you'd learn how to work on it plus save a few bucks in the process.
The Enforcer brand of hulls are great for new gas boaters. They're a heavy lay-up so they can take more abuse than other RTR boats.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:24 AM
wayne2oo8

Wow i didnt even think about legality of RC on lakes, sounds like I need to find this out first..