Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Giant RC Ship Rudder Setup

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need Help with Giant RC Ship Rudder Setup

Old 11-17-2015, 05:18 PM
ModelCaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Giant RC Ship Rudder Setup

I am currently building my first ever scratch-built RC boat model. She is a 1:60.8 scale model of the U.S.S. Arizona. When I say giant, I mean giant. Her length is 10ft and her beam 1ft 9in. What I am having trouble with is setting up her rudder servo which is a HITEC HS-815BB mega sail. I need some assistance on how to connect this to the rudder itself. Thank you for any help and interest in my project.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 AM
w3bby

You have a sail winch servo... It is designed to control the sails of a RC yacht not a rudder. If you need a servo with that pulling power then go for the 805BB or MG.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:47 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Use two pull lines to a tiller arm, adjust the relative arm lengths so that the servo throw gives the required tiller arm throw. This will require some pre-planning to ensure that the lines pull the tiller arm in the required direction.
Or different size pulleys to gear the 140 degrees down to the 90 or so wanted.
Or get the right servo that has the power and wanted travel.
Using a programmable transmitter to set the end points is OK until it switches on with the wrong memory.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM
ModelCaptain

Ok thanks guys, I'll go out and buy the correct servo. Now once I have it, how exactly can I attach it to the rudder? I was thinking about having a pole attached to the rudder that would run through her keel into the servo compartment but that is where I am lost in how to connect it to the actual servo, should I use a gear and chain type system? (ps. this is my first ship build let alone my first rc ship build so any and all advice is welcome)
Old 11-20-2015, 12:48 AM
w3bby

The rudder post should extend into the hull and you attach a pushrod from the rudder arm to the servo arm.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ModelCaptain
Ok thanks guys, I'll go out and buy the correct servo. Now once I have it, how exactly can I attach it to the rudder? I was thinking about having a pole attached to the rudder that would run through her keel into the servo compartment but that is where I am lost in how to connect it to the actual servo, should I use a gear and chain type system? (ps. this is my first ship build let alone my first rc ship build so any and all advice is welcome)
When you buy a rudder it will usually come with a mounting tube that fits to and through the hull bottom leaving the rudder blade outside and the control arm inside. A nice stiff pushrod is usually enough to connect the tiller arm to the servo arm.
Using hindsight, it might have been better to try something a bit less ambitious as a first project. Mistakes (and we all make them) are much simpler and cheaper to put right on a smaller model. Smaller is also easier to transport, launch and retrieve.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM
ModelCaptain

Originally Posted by mfr02
When you buy a rudder it will usually come with a mounting tube that fits to and through the hull bottom leaving the rudder blade outside and the control arm inside. A nice stiff pushrod is usually enough to connect the tiller arm to the servo arm. Using hindsight, it might have been better to try something a bit less ambitious as a first project. Mistakes (and we all make them) are much simpler and cheaper to put right on a smaller model. Smaller is also easier to transport, launch and retrieve.
Well that would work in all, but she is completely homemade. So I have to build her rudder myself, which is where I got the other idea. Yes a smaller model would have been simpler but I am an ambitious person. She is pretty much complete besides some fine detailing, fiber-glassing, and painting; I have had custom parts made and help from uncles with the electrical components, so the only real "challenge" per say is making her remote controlled. This will all be worth it in the end because she will be a show model, the basis for my non-for-profit I am starting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4313.JPG
Views:	719
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2131627  
Old 11-20-2015, 05:57 PM
bensid54

You would be better off mounting servo near the rudder and running the wires into the servo compartment. If the linkage is too long you can have trouble with deflection and extra strain on your servo. Deflection of linkage can cause binding so the closer and more direct the better. If mounted servos in my boats and sealed them in never to be seen again until the boat is no longer used or scraped for parts.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 AM
ModelCaptain

Thanks, I have a compartment already but it will be accessible in case of a malfunction. I have a pretty good idea of what I can do to get this to work now. Thanks for all your help!