Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Timber Cruiser - Setup Help

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Timber Cruiser - Setup Help

Old 12-20-2015, 11:14 PM
jappi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timber Cruiser - Setup Help

Hi - forgive terminology below, very much an amateur in this space and thanks in advance for any help.

I have an RC timber cruiser style boat that was handmade by my grandfather many years ago. It was quite basic when he built it with a very old electric motor and a motorbike style battery. It only went forward at one speed with only the ability to control steering. Its about 90 cm long so reasonably big but not super heavy. The boat was never designed to go fast and the drive shaft is not meant to support heavy acceleration.

I have been trying to find the right combination of gear to "modernise" the boat. My wish list is:

- Ability to have forward and reverse
- Ability to control speed and acceleration with fairly low top speed
- Ability to control steering (this is fine right now)
- Ability to run on a recent style of battery with good running time

I have a li-po 7.4v battery and a 15T motor from a local RC guy but the speed and acceleration are too violent and the motor overheats in no time. Further discussion with the local RC guy today suggested the following:

- Need a controller with End Point Adjustment to limit speed / acceleration - makes sense after he showed me how it worked on a car. I don't have this on my current controller so now understand what it can do.
- A brushless motor like EZRUN 3656 with WP SC8 ESC
- Need to think about liquid cooling the motor given no real air flow to offer cooling

Wondering if anyone may be able to offer guidance on other setups or considerations that might meet my wish list please?
Old 12-21-2015, 03:57 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jappi
The EZRUN 3656 is to higher kv for than type of boat(3700 rpm per volt).

A Hobbyking 3639-750kv (600watts) plus a water cool engine mount(HK-523B60).
ESC, I use the Hobbyking car HK-60A SL (with reverse) (program card required).
These are very easy to setup.
Setup
1. Battery 2S 6.6 volts
3S 9.9 volts
4S 12.8 volts
2. Start power 10%

3 Timing 4(highest)

4.Run mode 2

5. Brake 1

6. 0

7. 2

8. Brake force 1

9. Reverse 1 (25%)

This tames the motor to nice low speed, removes the brake setup to a small amount and all the motor power is at the top end of the throttle.

I use this setup on both my cars and boats.

Prop size 2 blade 40-50mm or 3 blade to 37mm.

Over prop the boat cooks ESC and motors!!!

To limit the top end speed, I use the end point adjustment in my Hobbyking Turnigy TGY-I6.

Also in the setup you can change the power curve for more taming the motor speed.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 PM
jappi

Thanks very much Canabus - can I impose on you a little more please to make sure I have the right info?

If I have understood you, the products I need are as follows:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Cooling.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=62709 (what is the diff between "Mode 1" and "Mode 2")
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9550
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11743

The programming card and ESC are not in stock right now......any other suggestions? I'm happy with a larger ESC with better cooling if you think that is relevant?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8482

Re your suggestion on the battery front. Does that mean my 7.5V Lipo is not suitable? Is there any reason I would choose one of your battery suggestions over the other? Is it just running time?

How long can you run your boat generally with this type of setup before things get too hot?

Appreciate your time.

Justin.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 PM
canabus

Hi Jappi
100A ESC, OK(the price different is only a few bucks).
Program card , if you order it all the order is reversed for you until it arrives.
Transmitter mode 1 throttle control(spring loaded to centre position) on right hand side and mode 2 it is on the left hand side.
Rudder is on the right hand side, but, it is what you are happy with!!!
The transmitter will handle up to 20 models with set ups for each model and separate naming for each.

Battery 7.4 volts is OK(5550 rpm).
What MAH is you battery?

I use 5800mah 40C for a good 1/2 to 3/4 hour.

A battery low voltage alarm is a good idea also(Voltage-Alarm) checks voltage of all cells and steps thru each cell for a reading as well.

Safety, use a storage bag when charging and transporting the battery.

Charging battery , use a good charger and do not leave the battery charging un attended.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 PM
jappi

Thanks again Canabus. Battery is 5200 mah and I have a really good charger and was shown all the considerations around charging, balancing and storing the li-po so good on that front.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 AM
canabus

Hi Jappi
Good size battery.
The ESC is good for 2 to 4S batteries.
So if you require a bit more speed, only a battery change to 3S with up you to 8325rpm.
Up more change to the sister motor 3639-1100kv(2S=8140rpm,3S=12210rpm and 4S=16280rpm(I am run one on 4S with no problem) also it is more powerful (800watts).