Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help, I want to run a brushless motor in my old 1/8 hydroplane

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help, I want to run a brushless motor in my old 1/8 hydroplane

Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Pokster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I want to run a brushless motor in my old 1/8 hydroplane

I need some help. I'm new to the site but I've been running boats for some time, I have a 53 inch v hull running gas, 35 inch v hull with a nitro outboard, and a traxxas spartan. My new project is a dumas 1/8 hydro, 43 inch Miller America. I'm working at completing it. i want to run electric. My original idea was to find a used spartan and use the running gear out of it for the hydro. but I'm thinking that bigger hydro will over heat that motor. So I'm asking what brush less motor and water cooled speed controller would work best. i plan on using two 3 cell lipo's
Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

How far along on your build are you? Without some serious lightening, your boat will end up severely overweight
Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 PM
blowbuggy

You have to run a neu 1500 series motor which is almost the size of a soda can, a good 240 amp speed control, and 2- 5s batteries! Then comes the battery charger and a power supply for it now your at $1200.00 or more lol. The hull you have has a very narrow opening and that makes it hard to place everything and maintane your CG and don't forget all of this has to be in a waterproof box!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:57 PM
Pokster

the main hull is done, and its been built to plan. so its not light (6 pounds or so, just hull). I wasn't worried about the weight because I run my boats on a lake, not a smooth pond. so i was thinking the weight would help with waves. So I'm thinking that I should just go with nitro?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, a heavier hydroplane has a harder time getting up on plane and, in the case of the Dumas kits, I've built two per the directions and neither one ran worth a hoot due to the weight
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Pokster

What would you consider heavy and what would you consider light? where does the weight come from? is it the bulkheads or the thickness of the decking? I'm wondering if there is a way to back track and lighten the hull. I go iceboating and the old hulls are over built. We have gotten good at lighting them up. Yes, they are never a light as a new hull built light in the first place.
What would be a better path to a electric hydro? What hull works with brush less?