Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finding the right motor. I need help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Finding the right motor. I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 AM
spartanec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finding the right motor. I need help!

Hello, I am new to this forum and I need your help. I'm looking for the right electric motor for a model boat that will weigh around 100kg and will operate continuously for 2 months.

The engine should operate at 12V and usage must be no more than about 3A. Reliability and efficiency must be greatest possible

I wonder what kind of motor would you suggest? Boat will be slow but
reliable. I don't have prop, but it will be large because i need highest efficiency possible.
Any information will help!

Thank you
Old 03-10-2016, 02:43 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

36 watts (a bit under 1/20 horse power) will cause a boat that weight to move eventually. The loading on the prop (diameter, number of blades, pitch) determines the loading on the motor, which in turn determines the current drawn up to the maximum that the motor can handle or the maximum current that the source can supply. You will probably be looking at a small, very high revving brushless motor with a very high ratio gearbox to gear it down to match the motor to the prop, but I suspect that it will spend most of its time just sitting there with gently moving water somewhere near the back end.
90Kg of lead acid battery should give about 240AH of stored power at 12 volts, about 79 hours at 3A, rather short of 2 months. I assume that there will either be recharge breaks or a very big onboard recharger like a solar panel or windmill?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:21 AM
spartanec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for your reply. yes it will have a solar panel, but everything can change, i only need to know what motor is enough reliable and can meet my expectations. thank you for your help.