Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New kid on the block looking for some advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New kid on the block looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM
JJT681

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New kid on the block looking for some advice

I hope this is posted in the correct forum.

I recently bought an old bait boat with the plan to “pimp”it a little, lots of defects to resolve and was hoping for a few steers fromthe forum.

Boat has a 3 channel servo type unit (A,B,C) built in , althoughB appears blanked off, the others I think are bait dump and steering, the unit is connected to a 12 volt battery and has a 12volt feed from it to the motor. It also has a feed to lights and an antenna connection.My dilemma is that this unit appears defective and I am having difficultytracking a replacement.
Will I be right in thinking that the controller unit (ESC) for themotor is built into the unit and that voltage in the is stepped down to 4/5v for the servos?.
I would like to replace the unit with a new 6 channel futabatype receiver (a few extra options for some more servos) and install a separateESC (lots of room), this is one option or perhaps there is a generic unit somewhereout there that will do the job, I can work from a basic diagram, over to youguys.
Thanks in advance..
Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Parts in the boat usually consist of a receiver, servos to do whatever mechanical job needs doing, and one, maybe more, ESCs to control drive motors. Servos and ESCs plug into the battery. Many ESCs have a Battery Eliminator Circuit to derive 5 volts for the electronics from the Main Battery (12v in this case).
That's fairly standard hobby use. Some manufacturers use integrated RX/ESC units which cannot easily be separated or modified, sometimes they use separate units inside a sealed box. Action Electronics show wiring diagrams on their site, intended for their products but applicable to others. Can't remember their URL but no doubt you can get google to find it for you.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:51 AM
JJT681

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that, actually found Action Electronics after posting and am now starting to develop a better understanding of how things work, I have ordered a servo checker to start eliminating defective parts and will the decide if to replace current integrated RX/ESC, a good little project, thanks again
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I love the simplified "diagrams" on their site. Gives you just enough information to hook everything up but not so much as to cause the "magic smoke" to escape