Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would undervoltage kill a trolling motor (24 volts DC battery)?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Would undervoltage kill a trolling motor (24 volts DC battery)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:45 AM
radio18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would undervoltage kill a trolling motor (24 volts DC battery)?

Would undervoltage kill a trolling motor (24 volts DC battery)? would it kill my digital wireless controlled trolling motor (designed to run on 24 volts) when hook up to a 12v battery?
I heard different story about this. Can somebody explain and thanks in advance?

I just bought a digitally wireless motorguide 75 pounds big trolling motor and didn't want to ruin this nice big motor by doing some silly things. My TM does have a control board to steer the motor. I am new to the RC world, and I have a smaller hand controlled TM 30 pounds and would like to set it up for my canoe so I can control it wirelessly. So, I bought a wiper motor (reversible) to hopefully somehow come up with a mechanism to steer it wirelessly. Any suggestion about how to do about this? Why? I want to kill 2 birds in 1 shot, just in case my big 75 pounds control board breaks, I can easily figure out how to build a IC board to get it to run again. Motorguide don't sell this board anymore, so if it breaks I am out of luck! Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	motorguide75.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2193111  

Last edited by radio18; 12-11-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Reducing the voltage to the motor will usually just reduce performance. Reduced voltage to a control board is unlikely to damage the board, but might not let it work. It all depends on the design.
Beware of the word "digital" when it appears in advertising for consumer goods. It has become a fairly meaningless marketing buzzword to be used if there is an integrated circuit in there somewhere.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM
crapshooter

why didn,t you buy a 12 volt powered Motorguide motor as the 24 volts motorguides are a pain having to use 2 x 12 volts batteries. i have a the largest 12 volt motorguide and it supplies ample power to mt 5 meter side consol tinny. if you run 12 volts into a 24 volt motor circut you will lose approx half the power output. its like running a 6 volt battery in a 12 volt car.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down

why didn,t you buy a 12 volt powered Motorguide motor as the 24 volts motorguides are a pain having to use 2 x 12 volts batteries.....
What a helpful post! I am certain that the OP is enthralled with your answer to his question.
Question: why didn't you just refrain from posting instead of pointing out the obvious in a thread which has been dead for over a month? Hmmm?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 AM
fuma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy of mine used a power seat drive from a buick, it was a worm drive with 12 volt motor attached a little slow but it worked
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 PM
crapshooter

[ Got RPM ] Oh dear god i am terribly sorry for giving an incorrect answer to a simple question, please forgive me my son as i did mean well . you didn,t have an answer to this question sir ? have a nice day.

Last edited by crapshooter; 01-23-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 AM
8MILLSNIPER007

About running your motor on 12 volts. The general rule with motors and speed controls is the higher the voltage the lower the amount of current you will draw. So in theory, yes I would imagine a system designed to run on 24 volts might not be able to handle the increased amps it would draw at 12 volts. But it would not affect the motor, it would be the speed control that would take the hit.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:31 AM
Got RPM

The above is simply inaccurate. With the same load (prop), reducing the voltage reduces the amp drawn. The opposite is where most folks get into trouble.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:53 AM
Got RPM

Wink

[ Got RPM ] Oh dear god i am terribly sorry for giving an incorrect answer to a simple question, please forgive me my son as i did mean well . you didn,t have an answer to this question sir ? have a nice day.
Hahaha - I just saw this!
  • I'm certainly older than crap is - whether he is my son or not depends on where his mother was living the year before he was born.
  • the OP already has the motor, criticizing him for buying the wrong one could easily be considered, well, insulting. Hardly "meaning well" anyway.
  • others had already given an answer, why just reiterate.
  • it seems that crap got his panties all in a twist when he was called to task - so he probably didn't have a nice day. More's the pity....

Old 01-31-2017, 12:49 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 8MILLSNIPER007
About running your motor on 12 volts. The general rule with motors and speed controls is the higher the voltage the lower the amount of current you will draw. So in theory, yes I would imagine a system designed to run on 24 volts might not be able to handle the increased amps it would draw at 12 volts. But it would not affect the motor, it would be the speed control that would take the hit.
Utter tosh put out by people who think that electricity is magical and not subject to logic. Unless you use a different motor designed to provide the same power at the lower voltage under the same load conditions the current draw and power out will drop along with the voltage offered. After the lower voltage motor is fitted, THEN you will draw more current, otherwise, the long established and as yet unrepealed Ohm's Law applies.
If you want to reduce current draw but keep the same power, you increase the voltage and use a higher voltage motor of the same general size but with different windings.
The only iffy parts about running a system on a lower voltage is if there is an electronic control board involved, which might not perform properly on a reduced voltage, and the motor might not start reliably with reduced torque.