Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Total novice needs crash course !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Total novice needs crash course !

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:29 AM
stanjagman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Total novice needs crash course !

Absolute RC noobie needs a crash course after an ass butchered my rc baitboat(fishing use).
Can anyone suggest a book or something available online to help me understand my boats circuitry so I can get it working again.
I'm a mechanic so quite tech. minded.....any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Stan
Old 05-30-2017, 01:31 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Since nobody else has replied -
There are plenty of modelling books around many of which explain radio control. Unfortunately,due to the nature of present day electronic development, every single book is out of date before it gets printed. Much the same with magazines.
The best source of information is on forums like this one. Some responses will be good, some not, but usually the dud information gets pointed out rapidly in later posts.
Currently, radio control gear is a lot like Lego - you get the bits and they plug together. It usually takes effort to get that wrong.
A bait boat will have a receiver to match the transmitter. Depending on the type, either two motors and controls (ESCs) and props for power and steering, or a single motor and a servo operated rudder. There will probably be another channel to control whatever dumps the bait.
Some makers put all of this electronicery on one board. When it is broken, it will likely stay that way.
Others use separate parts that plug into each other. It is possible to replace modules with off the shelf items. A lot depends, for you, on just what is busted.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:55 PM
crapshooter

you should explain what is damaged in the boat . better still have a look at this ; www.dronefishing.com.au
Old 05-31-2017, 01:18 PM
stanjagman

Thanks for the replies.
mfr02 pm for you.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 PM
mfr02

Small world, isn't it? On sites like this, it often helps to give a whereabouts as that can help avoid being advised to buy things that are not available where you are. On a US based site, it is generally assumed that that is where you are unless you say otherwise. And even then.............
Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM
mfr02

It turns out that stanjagman and I live about 3 miles apart, so I called for a look on my way down to my sailing pond. We found a poorly soldered joint in the negative power lead (done by a "professional") that was hiding inside some heatshrink sleeving. Hopefully Stanjagman will have fixed this by now and be well on the way to re-equipping his bait boat.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:16 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hate to point you to a different forum but maybe the info in this thread may help you.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...cal-Discussion