Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reciever cuts out

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Reciever cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Michael.foster42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Reciever cuts out

I have a Dumas scarab 55 with a homelike 33 cc it had a old futaba
magnum junior 75 hz. radio system. I upgraded servos to high torque 20 kg and added a LifE 6.6 volt battery. I bought a fly sky Fs-gt3b 3 channel radio and upgraded the reciever to higher rated one 4.8a11 volts.I installed everything and it works fine. Until I started the engine, that caused the reciever to go haywire it was no longer bound to transmitter. I shut it all down and rebound, then it works good until engine start up. At this point servos act on there own until reciever is no longer bound to transmitter. Location is as far away from engine as I can get it. What's my problem? This is an older home lite,doesn't have electronic ignition. Can the coil be causing interference on a 2.4 ghz trans/ reciever? It doesn't have an issue with the old am radio. What can I do to solve this issue?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The problem should be the other way round - AM is much more prone to interference from ignition systems than 2G4.
The motor might need a suppressed cap or ignition lead.
2G4 is generally good at rejecting interference, the problem signal might be getting in via the receiver/servo leads.
One cure if there is enough lead length is to wind a few turns of lead through a ferrite ring to make a toroidal choke to keep the signal from the ignition getting into the receiver through the back door.
Of course, mechanical vibration from the motor could be shaking connections about. Power rapidly switching the receiver on and off can upset the system.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:20 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes 2.4 is usually better at handling high noise but a lot of these cheap radio systems are built with sub-par components and workmanship and that adds to the problem.
Same goes for cheap servos too.

Try to separate the battery lead from the servo leads and re-route to keep them away from the engine.

Try a resistor plug and make sure the cap is super tight....if not add a hose clamp.

If that doesn't work then get a good radio system.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post an image of your installation. Dan.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:43 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A few years ago when the FlySky radios first came out and were so cheap, the local gas club went bonkers and almost every racer traded his/her high-end Futaba or HiTech radio for a cheap FlySky. Their old radios worked great, I never could figure out the attraction of exchanging good equipment for cheap equipment. Within a year every single member went back to Futaba or HiTech. There was a reason.....

Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 AM
RainClod

Yup I almost went to flysky this year , then after much internet research went to spektrum dx4c. MY previous radio dx3E was simple but bombproof. Dx4c are not expensive, just more than flysky.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The only way I'll switch from Futaba is when they pry mine out of my dead hands and replace it with something else
Old 07-09-2017, 10:03 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The only way I'll switch from Futaba is when they pry mine out of my dead hands and replace it with something else
Same here.. 4PK all the way, even have a spare for backup.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Mine is a 4PLS. I love being able to see how much juice is left in the receiver pack at a glance while running