Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Long range heavy duty mono hull build

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Long range heavy duty mono hull build

Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Ejs190961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long range heavy duty mono hull build

Going to build a 48"x18" Woody style mono hull that can reach up to 1000yrds. I've never done a build of this size and I'm not that knowledgeable on equipment . Wanting to do a twin electric motor with single rudder. I'm not sure what motors to use. Need to be able to push alot of weight and have speed so recommendations would be great and also receiver and transmitter recommendations would be much appreciated. Trying to keep it some what on the low cost but all ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Ejs190961; 07-08-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:52 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Pushing the envelope a bit with the range requirement. Most legal transmitters claim about 1KM for air use, half that for surface. A good quality FM set with an upright aerial might work.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Ejs190961

I understand. In that case what would be a good paring of transmitter and receiver (as in particular brand and model) to get anywhere near that ... I'd be happy with 400-500 yrds.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Futaba claims roughly 400-800 yards, depending on conditions, battery charge level, etc. I know my 4PLS is good for a considerable distance but pushing 400+ yards, don't know if I'd try that one
Old 07-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the OP realize how difficult it is to even see a 48" x 8" rectangle at 3000 feet? I've run a few of my 42" boats out to 900' with good control, but can't imagine actually driving it at three times that range. Which direction is it heading? Will I drive it out of range because I misjudged the way it was pointed? I strongly suggest the OP think about how he can actually control the boat at long range....before he loses the boat.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Ejs190961

Wouldn't a GPS fail safe/ return to home setup solve that possible issue if that was to be the case.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not necessarily. I personally don't know of any radios that have a RTS system. The fail safe only sets the servo on programmed channels to a preset value when the receiver loses the transmitter signal. Unless you can find a RTS system that works independently of the radio system, you're asking to lose your boat
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 AM
mfr02

I had problems judging direction at 400 yards with a 1 metre sailboat carrying a B rig. Just seeing something not carrying a big marker like that at range is a problem especially is the water is a bit lumpy.
The heli lads use GPS and a magic box to return their toy to its start point, but it doesn't take account of any obstructions that might be in the way, which is much more likely in water. I don't know if manual control is restored if radio communication is restored.
Before FPV gets a mention, it has its own limitations, range being the first. The other is that, according to a guy who was trying one recently, you have little or no depth/distance perception through the viewer. This from the UK RC Laser champion just after he rammed the bank. The low viewpoint didn't help a lot, either.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Hydro Junkie

When I'm running my 1/8 scale 2000 Elam Plus unlimited hydroplane, I find it starts getting small if I get too wide on the backstretch. Since the boat is 43" long and 22" wide, it's similar in size to the boat being planned. That said, when I'm at a race, the buoys are roughly 90 feet away from the drivers stand that mark the inside of the race course on the backstretch. When I go wide, say 50 feet further way(usually when I have engine issues), the boat looks like it's only around a foot long. Now, when you figure that's less than 50 yards and the boat looks like it's less than 1/3 it's true size, think about how hard it would be to see a boat at say 400 yards. I'm seeing a dot on the water at best
Old 07-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Ejs190961

OK noted. I understand it will be a large feat to get up to that distance and actually control it but this is just going to he a straight there and back boat no races . Just trying to build a boat able to bring a bait up to a dam and drive it back so all an all a set of binoculars will do for that problem. I'm only looking to drive the boat at 15 mph so not that speedy . Just using 2 motors to produce enough torque to push the boats wight and haul a sizable bait.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:28 PM
mfr02

Painting it in day-glo colours patterned like a Battenberg cake will help visibility and figuring out which way it is pointing.
15mph is speedy at any time. Hauling a load, it becomes improbable. To help figure out what is actually possible with a displacement hull (and it will be when carrying) look here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_speed.