Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pontoon Boat Quest

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Pontoon Boat Quest

Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 PM
RC Kola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontoon Boat Quest

I have been looking everywhere for a website that offers pontoon boat. You canít even find it on ebay.
I canít believe thereís not a market for this.
Does anyone know where an RTR or ATR can be bought?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum

I have seen a couple of deck boat styles though no true aluminum pontoon boats as such.
May be a scratch build kind of project at this stage though someone may chime in with something they have seen or done.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 AM
RC Kola

Thank you.
I will go there as you suggested.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

There was a short-lived manufacturer who made gas-powered pontoon boats years ago. They were overpowered for their size. Your best shot is to build one from scratch.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:56 PM
RC Kola

Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
There was a short-lived manufacturer who made gas-powered pontoon boats years ago. They were overpowered for their size. Your best shot is to build one from scratch.
As Ron said build one from scratch.There's pics and video of ones people have built, but you're on you own.
And if you want to put some power behind it,as this real one,go for it.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 AM
Bill Diedrich

I am currently in the design stage of a pontoon boat that will be powered by an electric
outboard motor, with lighting and a few other novelties to a scale of 1/6th or 2" = 1', going
to put a Ken & Barbie doll onboard hence the scale I have chosen, it will be based on a
21' x 8 1/2' plan I found on the internet. I thought about using 4" drain pipe for the pontoons
which would be the equivalent to a 24" pontoon as most of the Tracker brand full size ones are
fitted with. I decided to go with twin v-type pontoons instead which will be a combination of foam
and wood construction. Sill in the drawing stage at this time but will be cutting wood in a few more
days to start the actual construction of this project. This is being built for my wife that always would
have liked to have her own boat to play with when we go to the lake............Stay tuned I will be doing
a build thread here on RCU under the general boats discussion.

Bill D.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Mercury OB.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2228252  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Got RPM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 42" boat with one small outboard probably won't reach scale speeds. What are the specs of the motor you want to use? What voltage will you run? What prop? What are your speed and runtime expectations? I'd hate for you to build a big project like this and not get the performance you want.

I built a slightly larger catamaran airboat rescue craft out of 4" ABS, with a 14" prop it runs about 6 mph or nine feet per second. Built for pushing power, not for speed. It takes a lot of thrust to move a big boat.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Bill Diedrich

Pontoon boats aren't built for speed, they are mainly for pleasure cruising around lakes.
The outboard motor pictured above has a 2630 KV motor in it and will be run on 2 x 3 cells
(11.1) 6200 mah lipo batteries running parallel, theoretically this will turn the engine at just
over 29,000 rpm. The hulls that I am designing are not round tubes like many pontoon boats,
I toyed with the idea of 4" drain pipe for the pontoons, but I am choosing to use materials I have
on hand. The batteries for the propulsion system and small 6 volt lead acid batteries for the lighting
will be housed inside of the pontoons and the steering servo & 90 amp ESC will be housed in the
center engine pod that the outboard motor will be mounted to. This is a fun project as stated above
for my wife to play with when we go down to the lake to run my other boats. Speed isn't the goal on
this project, it is more a glamourous show piece with all of the different lighting and other custom
features that I intend to incorporate into the project. After all I won't have water in the river on my
end from mid September to around February as the Parish will be lowing the river allow for some more
dredging and other projects that our Wildlife & Fisheries Dept. wants to do.

I manage a piece of property on a lake that is half a block from where I live and it has a pier already
there which we fish off of on many weekend mornings. It is on False River which is a fresh water lake
approx. 17 miles in length and on the average of 3/4 of to a mile wide, surrounded by the town of
New Roads & villages of Ventress, Rougon, Lakeland, Oscar & Jarreau. I have attached a pic of the
property locally known as "Sunset on the River",(pictured) currently on the market for a cool $425,000.
Waterfront property has skyrocketed on the river ever since a couple of well know country singers
purchased property and built summer homes here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01506.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2228318  

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 08-17-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: pic replacement
Old 08-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Got RPM

Cool

It isn't all about speed, if you want to maintain steerage in wind or in current, that tiny high rpm prop may not provide very much thrust. Hey, as long as you are aware, good luck and be sure to post the finished project.

Last edited by Got RPM; 08-18-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:52 AM
RobertHan

What activities do you want to use on your Pontoon Boat? Do you enjoy quality leisure time lounging on a pontoon boat? Are you interested in giving your pontoon boat the best motor possible?Being familiar with the best engine on your pontoon boat will level up your experience outdoors. It will also keep your friends and family more comfortable in their relaxation time. Many concerns might come your way when you make rash decisions on your pontoon boat. If you just go with the flow without considering many of factors, you might shell out extra cash for maintenance and other problems that may arise.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:19 AM
Ron Olson

Originally Posted by RobertHan View Post

What activities do you want to use on your Pontoon Boat? Do you enjoy quality leisure time lounging on a pontoon boat? Are you interested in giving your pontoon boat the best motor possible?Being familiar with the best engine on your pontoon boat will level up your experience outdoors. It will also keep your friends and family more comfortable in their relaxation time. Many concerns might come your way when you make rash decisions on your pontoon boat. If you just go with the flow without considering many of factors, you might shell out extra cash for maintenance and other problems that may arise.

Here is an example of someone that's a new member digging up a 3 year-old posting with nothing really to contribute to this thread. Does this person realize that we're talking about radio-controlled boats and not full-sized ones?

Last edited by Ron Olson; 10-31-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:48 AM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Here is an example of someone that's a new member digging up a 3 year-old posting with nothing really to contribute to this thread. Does this person realize that we're talking about radio-controlled boats and not full-sized ones?
Yes I do agree Ron, although I do own a full size pontoon boat and had the idea of making a model one to take out with us when we go out for a relaxing day on the lake.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:52 AM
Got RPM

Cool

That's a great big NO Ron. He's recently registered on several full-size pontoon boat forums. Clueless, he didn't see that the thread is three years old nor that it's about toy boats. At least he was trying to be helpful, perhaps he's ESL...

Old 10-31-2020, 01:17 PM
Ron Olson

Many years ago there was a manufacturer that went by RC Pontoons that made high-performance 'tooners. Yeah, they were wicked crazy fast but didn't handle well at all.