Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have a bad HobbyKing experience?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Anyone else have a bad HobbyKing experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 AM
STLHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have a bad HobbyKing experience?

I purchased a Hydropro Affinity recently as a gift. Upon unboxing the item it has a manufacturer's defect. Expecting a simple return/replace, I completed the RMA as directed. I find out they are only sending parts to fix the defect, which this a gift to my elderly father. I didn't want to fully unpack and wrench on this gift, risking scratching it, etc. HobbyKing said I can return their defective product but are forced to pay shipping.
To add additional clarity the Hydropro Inception is advertised as 6s compatible but as ANY who ever purchased this boat, will realize the ESC installed is not capable of 6s and begins to overheat after a few passes..the hull is weak on the starboard side and is suspect of failure as others have experienced.

HobbyKing needs to step up their game...BUYER BEWARE. If your Hobby company doesn't stand behind their products, you're better off on the long run Paying a little more and spending your hard-earned money with a reputable stand up company.
This is my experience. I'm interested in hearing of others experiences. I'm hopeful my experience is isolated.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hobby Klunk! Hobby Klunk! Hobby Klunk! When are people gona learn inexpensive and cheap are not the same.

Chances are if you purchased it at a local hobby shop you could have walked it right back in and resolved the problem. Now you have sort of a gift, one which you will have to repair and most likely not usable on the day of the giving. You could give him a picture and tell him its on its way, fix it put it back in the box then give it to him. Sorta takes the nice fuzzy feeling of giving someone a gift though. Ask me how I know. No more Hobby Klunk for me.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 11-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

When is everyone going to learn that you get what you pay for? You want cheap, plan on paying for it through poor customer service, poor quality, long shipping times or combinations of all the above. I've read too many times that Hobby King has failed in this way or that to gamble away any of my hard earned cash by purchasing from them
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sadly a common story, the OP is far from alone here. I very seldom buy from HK, and the few experiences I’ve had buying a couple packs and motors were good. BUT I only buy from the US warehouses. No China purchases for me!

Old 11-08-2017, 05:30 PM
blizard05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I got a defective E S C, they wanted a pic of it not working ? I'm done with them, not the first problem I had with them
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 AM
canabus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All
I have had three years of buying Hobbyking parts for my boats including props, ESCs, motors, radios, servos and batteries.
Only had one problem in the parcel arrived very damage and was dumped at my doorstep.
I photo all the damaged parts and told them of the missing parts( a brushless motor box and no motor).
Hobbyking replaced the whole dam lot at no cost to me !!!
So, sorry guys, I am happy with the company.
Canabus
Old 11-21-2017, 09:45 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of like asking if anyone has ever had diarrhea. When ever they start that crap with me I threaten to stop payment with my CC co. they change their tune pretty quickly
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Kind of like asking if anyone has ever had diarrhea. When ever they start that crap with me I threaten to stop payment with my CC co. they change their tune pretty quickly
Look at their refund policy and lost item policy. Check your credit card the charge back time limit may be only one billing cycle. Some do vary.

They don't consider an item lost until 45 days then they file a claim with your countries postal service and it may take as long as 60 days after that before they consider a refund. Actual warranty requires jumping though hoops filling out forms for an RMA, pictures, then it has to be returned in the original packaging unopened or you may only get 80% of what you paid for it. In most cases by the time they consider any chance of refund its well past the time you may be allowed to initiate a charge back through your credit card so you end up stuck with what ever they decide to refund you. All kinds have been stuck with the cost of return shipping. Lots of guys at our club fly indoor and build multiple airframes. They also have gotten into the habit of ordering extra servos, esc, receivers etc. because its not uncommon to have this stuff fail out of the box. Need 6 servos for 2 airframes order 8 and you might be ok.

I wouldn't buy toilet paper from these clowns.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 11-22-2017 at 09:26 AM.