Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Expensive China to US purchase -any advice dealing with Customs -Taxes etc.?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Expensive China to US purchase -any advice dealing with Customs -Taxes etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Rob Romero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive China to US purchase -any advice dealing with Customs -Taxes etc.?

I am thinking of buying a “1/144 Yamato” from Tian Jie for ~$5,000 including shipping? Any advice on dealing with Customs, Taxes or other considerations?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you want to know? Dealing with customs you are unfortunately at their mercy. You may want to review the code options for classification of the model - it may be a different rate being called a model or prototype than a toy boat for example. A LOT of the duties have changed and are changing. I have a factory near shanghai but do not import anything RC thru the company. But the items I do ship to the US have strange (and changing) taxes that defy logic. We only ship 20 and 40ft containers so easier in a way.

I am not sure who or how it is shipping with. You are likely to need a customs broker who should be able to provide some research and give an idea of what you are looking at to avoid surprises.

That said - you might want to do some thorough research on what you are getting. Chinese are honest and very hard working - BUT they also do not necessarily understand customer expectations. Once your money is sent - it is gone. I would not overlook the option of visiting the factory to see the completed model and supervise packaging. Once it ships - its yours. I have seen many flights for under $500us round trip with good connections lately. Consider it a holiday. Your Visa will cost you additional depending on what you apply for and how long you know in advance. You will need a letter of invitation from the manufacturer when applying. Last 40ft container I shipped from Qingdao to LA cost around $3k in shipping. But cost about $3k to then travel 50 miles in California on a truck.