Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to boats need recommendations!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to boats need recommendations!

Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM
BLBncsu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to boats need recommendations!

Hi all. I’m new to the boat world but have experience with nitro cars, airplanes, and helis. I have some young boys I want to get into boats.
I would be looking to run in some small lakes but also a lot in the ocean sound side intracoastal area in smooth water outside our condo (Ie salt water) I currently have a cheap $30 amazon boat just to try and it works well in smooth water even on the sound at lower speeds but not what we’d want. Not looking for high speeds to be honest.
Looking for any recommendations on a larger but stable and ideally self righting boat. Like to get this groups input in any options!
The following users liked this post:
Cuppy (02-03-2020)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Could you give us a bit more info on what you are actually wanting? It would be nice to know the following:
  • Hull style
  • Preferred power
  • Scale like or just something that floats
  • Size requirements
Larger, stable and self righting leaves a lot to be desired, especially since most self righting boats are normally swimming pool sized electrics
Old 09-24-2019, 12:19 PM
BLBncsu

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Could you give us a bit more info on what you are actually wanting? It would be nice to know the following:
  • Hull style
  • Preferred power
  • Scale like or just something that floats
  • Size requirements
Larger, stable and self righting leaves a lot to be desired, especially since most self righting boats are normally swimming pool sized electrics
I'll do the best I can given my limited knowledge somewhat.
- Prefer probably a V-shaped hull
- Power, I don't know to be honest? Would like to be able to run LiPo batteries. Don't plan on racing it nor need a super-fast top speed boat.
- Probably more along the lines of 'something that floats', but not looking at tug-boats or things like that.
- Size I'm still learning - seen that 17"(?) and 23-26"(?) seem common. I'm not sure the pros/cons of between those size classes.

I suppose size doesn't matter as much but would value stability. As I would use it in the intracoastal sound side waters which is typically smooth but occasionally has some light chop ( however if it overturns I can easily walk/swim out to retrieve it). In the nearby large lake its smooth water however I don't have a good means of retrieving it as easily. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Got RPM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

however if it overturns I can easily walk/swim out to retrieve it
The poster needs to read this carefully!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...your-boat.html

Old 09-25-2019, 02:39 AM
mfr02

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Large water needs a large boat. Small ones might be perfectly happy zooming about a big lake, but they soon vanish. Little over 50 yards out, quite often the only thing you see is the rooster thrown up when it it travelling fast.
V hull, 31" long, capable of going fast, good handling and stability, http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=w has a set of mouldings that builds into a rather nice Huntsman (James Bond, Fom Russia With Love).
+1 on not swimming after a boat, better to have one that is less likely to flip.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:15 AM
BLBncsu

Thanks for the feedback so far. Still open to anyone's other suggestions.

Fair point on the swimming out to retrieve anything and good read. If needed I'll just use the kayak and paddle on out.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Dodgy Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLBncsu View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. Still open to anyone's other suggestions.

Fair point on the swimming out to retrieve anything and good read. If needed I'll just use the kayak and paddle on out.

If you want to introduce them to the hobby of building as well as sailing, then google 'EeZeBilt' for a web site that provides free plans and general support for creating a range of starter model boats that were common in the UK 50 years ago.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:15 PM
lynn7525
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sail boats require that you manage the use of wind, raising and lowering sails…they offer a quiet peaceful ride and come in sizes that require more people to operate, but can be lived in. They do require skill in docking procedures. Power boats also come in various sizes, and operation is not generally quiet, giving off a steady deep muffled sound! You also will need to steer and manage navigation in and around other boats just like a sailboat but with more control.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:12 AM
mfr02

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lynn7525 View Post
Sail boats require that you manage the use of wind, raising and lowering sails…they offer a quiet peaceful ride and come in sizes that require more people to operate, but can be lived in. They do require skill in docking procedures. Power boats also come in various sizes, and operation is not generally quiet, giving off a steady deep muffled sound! You also will need to steer and manage navigation in and around other boats just like a sailboat but with more control.
Of course, model boats offer different challenges and opportunities to real, full size, boats.