Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alignment of Rudders and props

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Alignment of Rudders and props

Old 10-04-2019, 06:23 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment of Rudders and props

Hi I am building a 5’ pt boat would like to know if I should Align the props with the rudders , twin props twin rudders 2 775 Brush motors
Old 10-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Got RPM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Short answer - yes. With your submerged drive you will get better steering at low speed with the rudders directly behind the props. A fellow club member has a large dual-motor PT and with the rudders behind the props, he has great maneuverability.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:33 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Got RPM View Post
Short answer - yes. With your submerged drive you will get better steering at low speed with the rudders directly behind the props. A fellow club member has a large dual-motor PT and with the rudders behind the props, he has great maneuverability.

....although it is often considered sensible to offset the rudders by the width of the propshaft. This makes life a lot simpler when servicing the prop shaft later on should the need arise to withdraw the shaft. Having to remove and replace the rudders is generally a PITA that is best avoided. Makes not a scrap of difference to the handling.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:26 AM
rye

Default Thanks

i am going to power this boat with two 775 brush motors 1/34 three blade props can u tell me if the onyx 1060 esc I going to use 2 of them and 3s 11.1 5200 lipos x2 will work and I plan on removing one of the bec from one of the esc hook up on a y I am also going to run servos to make the gun Mounts to turn back a Fourth I plan on using a Funabashi 6x airplane 2.4 radio I use when I use to fly any help on this stuff Will be very much appreciated thanks Rye
Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

No idea how those motors behave with those props, but to get anything like scale performance is going to need motors that swallow about 500 watts between them, or 25A each on 3S. Usual rule of thumb for brushed motors is "prop to have smaller diameter than the motor can, should also have fewer blades than the motor has poles". I'll let you read the specs on your preferred ESC and decide on the level of derating needed. With sensible motor choice, this normally results in a cool running motor and good run times.
The numbers relating to brushed motors usually just refer to the can length, what goes on inside is a big unknown. The same size can might hold a motor that will swing a huge prop quite happily at modest revs. or, with different windings, might rev beyond belief but only with a very small prop for a fast boat. Its a big model of a fast, powerful boat that was very thirsty at high speed. The model will have the same behaviour.
I am sure that you will get lots of suggestions of what combination of brushless motor and ESC will work well. Probably the best way to go.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:31 PM
rye

Default Thanks

Thank you very much for the help I appreciate it I’ll take any suggestions RYE
Old 04-19-2020, 08:57 AM
LumacheFertili

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rye View Post
Thank you very much for the help I appreciate it I’ll take any suggestions RYE
Old 04-22-2020, 07:09 PM
Madcow63

Looks great, where did you get your guns and crew. I’m building a 48” boat got partially assembled and missing a lot of hardware.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:31 AM
rye

Default Pt boat

Originally Posted by Madcow63 View Post
Looks great, where did you get your guns and crew. I’m building a 48” boat got partially assembled and missing a lot of hardware.
This is the second five footer I felt first one was a skeleton frame it was covered with sheets of Balsa then fiberglass The crew are used is Bachmann g scale figures and rc tank crews that I painted in navy colors the guns are 50 cal from the rc tanks1/16 scale the mounts hand made the 20 mm hand made the hull fiberglass that I got on eBay 60” thanks RYE
Old 04-23-2020, 07:32 AM
rye

Default Pt boat

Originally Posted by rye View Post
This is the second five footer I felt first one was a skeleton frame it was covered with sheets of Balsa then fiberglass The crew are used is Bachmann g scale figures and rc tank crews that I painted in navy colors the guns are 50 cal from the rc tanks1/16 scale the mounts hand made the 20 mm hand made the hull fiberglass that I got on eBay 60” thanks RYE
The Gun Tourette’s for a 50 Cal are Laundry detergent caps that I cut half of the top offWhen building these you had to improvise adapt and overcome I also have a 4 foot cabin cruiser and I built has dancing dolls from a robot controller and lights and the iPad for music you can find these on YouTube on my channel ptboat84 all one word every thing we did in rc stuff