Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Better receiver antenna?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Better receiver antenna?

Old 01-15-2020, 01:43 AM
SoundSearcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Better receiver antenna?

Hi,

We have a RC survey vessel that we control with a Futaba T14SG transmitter and are looking for tips for a better antenna. We connected a small wifi antenna to the receiver instead of the supplied antennas which increased our range quite a bit but we are now thinking to change to some kind of 'better antenna' that we can place up on top of the vessel instead of inside as it is now.

Any suggestions of which antenna may be best?

Regards
Old 01-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I know Futaba sells an antenna that's 40cm long, for a 2.4GHz receiver. Getting the active antenna higher may make a difference in receiving range as it will reduce the amount of reflection off the water's surface. You can get it higher by mounting the receiver higher in the boat, reducing reflection even more. I won't say that increasing the height of the antenna will definitely increase the range as range is as much a matter of transmitter output power(limited to .5 watt for all units, other than 50MHz that require an FCC license, IIRC) and antenna height and efficiency