Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got a little fired up again!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Got a little fired up again!

Old 04-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Will Sgarlat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a little fired up again!

I brought out a few of my old R/C Boat Modeler magazines, dating from 1991 to the end of their run. NO I didn't look through them ALL, but they're there... It was great to see the old favorites flying over the water in race trim. Those mags made you want to break out those mothballed glow models and see if they'll do it again like they used to! I have a 3.5 Dumas Sprint in perfect condition and a number of my own designs that have hull mods that haven't been tried yet.
I haven't been to this forum much since the turn of the century and it warmed my heart to see that ol' Ron Olson is still helping people sort things out. Good job, Ron!
R/C Boat Modeler was a good mag in its day and there is a treasure trove of inspiration and information in all those old issues. It was enough to get me to pull one boat out. Have to reseal some places that have come apart and make sure my wiring is up to snuff.
Are there any other old duffers evaluating your old stuff to see if you want to go have a little too much fun?

Old 04-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Will
Recognise a few of those magazines though have not had mine in many a year.
Still a few of the regulars around though RCU has gone pretty quiet with the popularity of Facebook groups etc.
A thread from a few years back Eastern MA and RI I see you were chatting with Larry. He dropped a few boats off to me last year (think it was - gassers) though I think he still has electrics. Haven't seen many posts from him lately. Hopefully he (and we all) weathers this storm.

I have tended to collect a lot more than I run lately. Hopefully I will change that someday and get a bit more pond time.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Will Sgarlat

Hi Wata! I recognize your avatar and stage name from years ago, too! Hope you've been well. I agree, today's challenges are unique and I wish you excellent luck in avoiding this scourge, too!
I have been trolling for an old K&B 3.5cc inboard engine, with the front rotor carb. I blew mine and the rear carb engines K&B made were lackluster. Got an oldie you'd like to pass on? It would get my Prather deep vee out of it's own way...I was wondering if the OPS .32 would be a good engine replacement. Have any ideas?
If you were going to get a boat out into the water, which would you pick?
There is something about a dedicated site like RCU, vs the face book communities, in that in a place like this, there is more respect for the discussion, verses many face book communities, which can be more rabble-like.
Thanks for the call back, see you around once we stop cavitating like this!
Old 04-12-2020, 02:14 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Will. My name is Matt - It used to appear on the profile somewhere. Wata works too i guess
If I had a K&B motor you would be welcome to it. I have never really embraced the Nitro or Electric ends of the hobby. Gas and only gas since I was strong enough to work a pull starter (13).

Getting a boat in the water - any at this point. I have a few that are a battery charge away from running (I hope) or a matter of tracking down the transmitter. And then I have others that are in the process of being stripped and sanded. A few warmer days will afford a little more tinker time at least.

I think the thing I like most about the forum is that you can go back years and search and see old builds and info. Comes in handy at times. Facebook - information tends to get lost in the mix.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:39 AM
Will Sgarlat

Hi Matt, You were smart to go with gas only, you made it so much easier on yourself, unless you've tweaked your engines to be as temperamental as a glow engine. Seeking speed was my goal as a young guy, but I'm thinking I'd like a nice, practical fiberglass gasser vee hull that is nimble enough to make it fun to navigate waves and chop at mid speeds without coming off the step. I'm only dreaming though, it would be neat to sell off my boats for next to nothing and buy one gasser that I'm more likely to actually use and be able to let others try it. Thanks for talking.
Will