Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reviving an old Venom boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Reviving an old Venom boat

Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 PM
RC_MuNkY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving an old Venom boat

With all this isolation going on these days, I've been starting to tinker with my RC's again, most of which I haven't touched in 2-3 years.
One of these RC's is an old Venom P1 King of Shaves.
Back story first...
I bought the boat used 6 or 7 years ago, shortly after that the stock outrunner motor died, I was broke and had a spare castle creations motor kicking around from my Slash so I made a mount and put that in there, eventually had to upgrade the ESC as well, but then all was fine for the longest time.
Well the last time I ran the boat, the tiny little prop shaft had taken enough abuse from that castle motor and it let go on me in grandiose style. (prop shaft, stuffing tube and even the brass tube were all mangled) Fortunately a fisherman was able to hook it and reel it in for me before the lipo was completely drained.
When I tried to get parts for it I found out that Venom was no longer supporting that model, and I could't get a prop shaft for it. So in my infinite wisdom, I started ordering a bunch of parts to build it back up better than before.
Starting with an upgraded prop shaft intended for a Traxxas Spartan, but then my stinger was too small, so I got a new stinger from RC boat bitz, along with a whole slew of other parts from them.(rudder, trim tabs, inlets, outlets, new motor mount, cooling jacket) At the same time, I don't know why I thought it, but I thought putting dual rudders on it would be a great idea, or at least it would look really cool. All the parts came in, life got busy and for the last 3 years it has just sat on a shelf collecting dust and spider corpses.

Now, older, wiser and bored out of my mind me thinks, maybe I should actually ask someone who has a clue about this stuff. So I have a couple questions before I go spending too much time on what could turn out to be stupid ideas.

1. Is there any reason why adding a second rudder is a good or bad idea? Aside from looking cool. Will the steering be more responsive? too responsive? My plan was to run one with a servo and make a linkage to go to the other one so they are always in sync. I have it mocked up on a scrap piece of plastic and it actually works quite well (I was going to post a picture of the current mock up of them, but apparently I'm not allowed to post a URL until I have 10 posts, and embedding a picture counts as a URL).

2. The old rudder was directly in line with the prop, the new stinger doesn't allow this, as its the same length as the rudder mounts. How close to the prop can they be? Obviously far enough to not get hit by the prop, but can moving them off center throw off the balance? Now that I am thinking about that, maybe that's why I got the idea to put one on each side...

3. Where is the most ideal place to put the trim tabs? The old ones were stamped sheet metal with a turn fit integrated into them, and were located half way between the keel and each side of the boat. Again, I don't know where I got the idea back then, but I mocked up the new trim tabs as far from the stinger as I could get them. Now looking at some pics on here, I see some guys have them mounted almost right next to the stinger.

When I ordered all those parts, one thing I neglected to get was turn fins. I'm going to have to get some...

Thanks guys,

I'm sure your answers are going to give me more questions, or who knows, maybe a light bulb will turn on.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Your best bet would be to find a club in your area. I'm sure they would be able to help you out with replacing what needs to be replaced so you can get your boat up and running. It would help to know your general area to see if there's a club close by