Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need advise - which boat to purchase?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need advise - which boat to purchase?

Old 04-19-2020, 05:16 AM
westwind77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise - which boat to purchase?

My son runs r/c cars (slash/erevo) and has a mini pro boat I bought him the other year. I am thinking of getting him a bigger/faster boat for his birthday this year but I am torn on what to get. I first was looking at cats but not I'm leaning more towards monos.

I am looking at the Pro Boat Veles 29" - Pro Boat Sonicwake 36" - Traxxas M41

I like the self righting feature of teh Sonicwake a bit. We would be using this boat while on our local lake when using our boat. Usually we will anchor up in a calm area out of the wind but at times where might be some slight waves from other boats.

Is there a clear winner in the ones listed above?

Thank you!
Old 04-19-2020, 12:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

On a large body of water, bigger is better. I don't know enough about your three choices to make the call for you but, what I do know is a small boat won't handle full sized boat wakes or wind chop as well as a larger one will. You also need to take into account how visible the R/C will be to other boat operators. Since you're going to be using the R/C in conjunction with the full sized boat and on a body of water with other full sized boats, these are things you need to consider as well.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:31 PM
westwind77

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
On a large body of water, bigger is better. I don't know enough about your three choices to make the call for you but, what I do know is a small boat won't handle full sized boat wakes or wind chop as well as a larger one will. You also need to take into account how visible the R/C will be to other boat operators. Since you're going to be using the R/C in conjunction with the full sized boat and on a body of water with other full sized boats, these are things you need to consider as well.
Cat vs Mono - is there on consensus on which is better in the chop? Do the Cats blow over much?
Old 04-19-2020, 05:32 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
Cat vs Mono - is there on consensus on which is better in the chop? Do the Cats blow over much?
A little too much wind or a chop and a cat wants to launch itself into the air. Some flips could be interesting though, like the time I saw a cat take off, do a complete loop in the air and made a perfect landing back on the water to continue on like nothing happened!
Old 04-20-2020, 05:25 AM
westwind77

I spent a long time reading reviews/posts and watching youtube videos. Given this will be for my son, and am thinking a 'self righting' boat would be best. (as mentioned above with the cats flipping!)

That really leaves me with either the: Recoil 26" or the Sonicwake 36"

The Recoil reminds me of his current React 17", and it comes with everything needed, unlike the Sonicwake which needs a batteries/charger.

I also don't want to 'under-buy' where he will want the Sonicwake in a year or two.

My concern is the Sonicwake will be too fast for him to start with with the 3s, but I cannot find a single review/post/video of it running or estimated speeds on 2s.

Looking for some thoughts on these 2 boats and any/all opinions are welcome! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2020, 10:31 AM
westwind77

Anyone? I need to make the decision and order tonight for it to arrive on time if I go with the Recoil. Appreciate any thoughts!
Old 04-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Sounds to me like you really need to consider your two main issues:
1) Sonicwake is bigger, faster but will handle rougher water after buying batteries and a charger
2) Recoil is smaller, slower, had everything but he may outgrow it quickly.

If it were me, I'd go with the larger boat and find some way to block the trigger from making a full throw until he's ready for it's top end. Since you need to buy a charger and batteries, you could buy a high quality charger that will handle most to all of your battery needs and only have to deal with one charger. Otherwise, you'll need to buy another one later for a larger boat when the kid outgrows the Recoil.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:44 PM
westwind77

I spoke to my LHS for a while on the phone today. I am going to go with the Sonicwake....although I still have reservations. That being said he found a way to use my traxxas Ez Peak charger to charge the batteries for this boat. He said he had 2C 5000mAh batteries that he recommends, said they were 30C as well. I have noticed some recommendations for the Reaction 5000 at 50C. Will there be a noticeable difference between the 30C and 50C?

He quoted $60/ea for the batteries, which seems a bit steep for a 30C from what I am finding on-line - unknown brand as of now.

I plan to finalize the order with him over the phone tomorrow, but will ask the brand of battery before I commit to them.

Any feedback on the batteries would be great! Planning to call at 10am to pay.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2020, 12:43 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Batteries bought face to face over the counter are very likely to do what it says on the label. Whoever is selling them will have paid to have them shipped to him, and will have stored them, as well as spending time discussing them with you.
The on line batteries will either need their shipping paying for as an extra cost to you or have their postage subsidy from the PRC. They might or might not live up to their specification, and an unknown brand "might" be unknown for a reason..
Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 AM
westwind77

Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
Batteries bought face to face over the counter are very likely to do what it says on the label. Whoever is selling them will have paid to have them shipped to him, and will have stored them, as well as spending time discussing them with you.
The on line batteries will either need their shipping paying for as an extra cost to you or have their postage subsidy from the PRC. They might or might not live up to their specification, and an unknown brand "might" be unknown for a reason..
I agree, I was never in doubt of the 'quality' of the batteries - more so wondering if the 50C is better to run than the 30C - on a side note being quoted $60 for 30C when Horizon has 50C for a few dollars more made me wonder if I was significantly overpaying for 30C locally. I always expect to may a premium in a local shop of any kind, just want to make sure it is reasonable - even so - wondering if I should not buy 50C from him.....all being 2s to run as a 4s system in this boat.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:32 AM
westwind77

I just received an answer from a question I posted on Amazon - It seems the controller has a switch limiting the throttle to 50/75/100 percent! I pulled the manual on-line and see it. My BIG question is....why would anyone run this as a 4s system? Does anyone have an idea of the speeds when the system is running 6s and set to 50% or 75% - Thanks!