Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

WL-915 ESC Started smoking

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

WL-915 ESC Started smoking

Old 05-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Syden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WL-915 ESC Started smoking

Hello,
Recently I bought a RC electric boat from WLToys WL915. Since I bought the boat it worked all fine and all parts are original from the factory. Today I took my boat for a quick ride and pluged the battery, but as I pluged the battery the ESC started to beep like crazy and after 2 seconds it smoked and I directly unpluged it. I'm totally new to the RC electric boat world so I have no idea what can cause such a thing, since everything is original. I wander if any of you have an idea of what might have happened so I don't repeate my mistake (if there is one). Thank You.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:59 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If the ESC has been hot enough to smoke, there is a good chance that it is now a paperweight.
The usual cause is too high a load - with the power off, the prop should be able to be turned easily. Although it beeped and smoked before it had time to do anything, it might have had a problem at the end of the previous session.
With any brushless setup, the motor and ESC can only be tested together as they are two parts of the same thing. A replacement ESC should also have a replacement motor, the last thing you need is to have the motor break the new ESC.
The following users liked this post:
Syden (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 AM
Syden

If it can be from the previous session than I think that might be the case. 4 hours before I cleaned the shaft, after the assembly I took it for a ride and I noticed loud noices from the shaft, so I took the boat home re calibrated and also oiled to make shaft run smoother. After I was sure everything was clean and smooth I took it to a short ride again and I turned on the controller and as I pluged the battery it beeped unusually and after 2 seconds it started to smoke. I hope if I replace the ESC it doesn't smokes again, since it's a stock model the transmitter and the ESC are combined together and makes the part expensive. I hope the only problem is the last session.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:14 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Hopefully any problems in the motor and drive have been fixed. The big problem with brushless is that you can not test the individual parts separately. A faulty motor (there might be cooked windings in there) could take out the new ESC. Probably why I prefer brushed motors - you can test them with just a battery.
The following users liked this post:
Syden (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 01:10 AM
Syden

Yeah, It's a shame to put also the new ESC to risk but I guess that's what RC is about . I'll look forward for the new ESC. I actuallly want to order a normal ESC and a seperate controller with the receiver (since mine is all together) but since I don't have enough place in the boat and knowledge I don't know how to make them fully waterproof. I will also post pictures so you get a better idea.