Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me Win! Please!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help me Win! Please!

Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 PM
ConfusedCarl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help me Win! Please!

Howdy new friends!

I should probably start off by saying I know NOTHING about RC boats, so feel free to laugh at my cluelessness! haha

A few friends and myself were drinking last night and some how we've placed a bet that we're each going to buy a RC boat and race! Winner takes all, they started googling "FAST RC BOATS" but I figured I'd be smart about it and talk to the experts!

The restrictions on our bet are pretty loose:
-Under $100
-Must have at least 4 separate channels so we can all control our boats simultaneously
-Must be an RC boat

So it could be an air boat, prop boat, jet boat (if that's a thing with RC lol.)
Whats the fastest boat you guys know of for less than $100? (I did see a "50MPH" boat on wish.com, but I don't need to know about RC boats to know wish.com is a scam website.)

I've even thought about buying a used like $200 boat off ebay for $95, but I have no idea what boats are actually fast. haha

Thanks for your guys help! I'll keep you all posted on the exciting adventures of this competition! I could even record it if anyone wants me to! haha

THANKS AGAIN! (:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

First off, there is no such thing as an expert, only those with more first hand experience.
Now with that said, let's look at your restrictions:
1) $100 limit-that says toy grade boat from Wal Mart and a top speed of 15-25mph OR a a used boat that's probably junk or close to it
2) At least four separate frequencies-If you're looking at toy grade boats, they usually only have one channel on either 27MHz or 49MHz. To have four different boats running at once, you would need to have actual hobby grade radio gear on four separate 75MHz frequencies or everyone running on 2.4GHz systems that can frequency hop
3) Must be an R/C boat-This is the easy part. There are many R/C boats out there and, for your purposes, many styles. The fastest are going to be catamarans and hydroplanes. Your next choice will be a vee hull. Each has it's own pro's and cons:
1) Hydroplanes;
  • Turn best to the right, can make wide left turns
  • Are not good in choppy water
  • Need to be balanced and properly set up to run best
  • Has the least room inside for battery packs, radio gear and drive train
2) Catamarans;
  • Can turn both ways, slightly better to the right
  • Can handle some chop
3) Vee Hulls;
  • Can be set up to turn equally well both ways though, like the catamaran, they prefer turning to the right
  • Can handle rougher water than the other styles of boats
  • Need to be set up properly with the weight centered around 1/3 the way forward from the back of the boat.
  • Has the most room for battery packs, radio gear and drive train
As you can probably tell, there's a lot more to this than just getting a boat and throwing it on the water. Something else you need to consider is battery pack costs. If you have to buy a battery pack, that could eat up a good part of your budget by itself
The following users liked this post:
ConfusedCarl (06-02-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 PM
Got RPM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, there is no such thing as an expert....
Speak for yourself!!

j/k.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Got RPM View Post
Speak for yourself!!

j/k.

I WAS
Old 06-03-2020, 11:09 AM
ConfusedCarl

[QUOTE=Hydro Junkie;12608841-snip-[/QUOTE]
Wow! Thanks for the awesome response! But I think I want to hear "GOT RPMs" response, he sounds like an expert! hahaha just kidding!

It sounds like a V HULLL is by best option because we're going to be racing on a pretty choppy lake! I was sort of worried that a $100 limit might keep us in the kid boat range. I suppose I should hunt around on ebay and hope I'm lucky!

I just found this on Craigslist (turns out I can't post links yet) "Atomik-Barbwire-17-Rtr-Brushless-Electr" they have it listed for less than $150, so I suppose if it's a $150 boat (according to walmart) it could beat anything they got?

My other option would be this: (Can't post the amazon link yet but to search it on amazon, here is the ASIN: "B084G59YF4") Which claims 20+ but..... if they're construction quality is anything like their grammar... I'm scared....
There was this question in the Q&A section:
Question: "Can you run two of the same boats at once?"
Answer: "Yes. You just pair the RC to one boat at a time. Pair the first RC to one boat and then do the same process to other RC."
So that sounds somewhat promising, I'm not sure about the Barbwire being able to do that though.

As for ebay, there's to many random boats on there that I know nothing about (a lot of the Nikkos pull up nothing when I google them), if somebody finds me a fast boat on there for less than $100 and I win. I'll totally venmo you half my winnings, which off a $20 bet is only $10 lol

There's some pretty cool boats out there I'm finding as I'm researching though! This seems like a pretty fun hobby or sport if I'm allowed to call it that!
Old 06-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Yes, you can call it a sport. Many people that are involved with R/C boating actually race them, including me. I actually build and race scale hydroplanes, none being electric as I have several nitro motors and a couple of gas two strokes that I use to power them. Here's one that I race:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 PM
shahzad haider

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
First off, there is no such thing as an expert, only those with more first hand experience.
Now with that said, let's look at your restrictions:
1) $100 limit-that says toy grade boat from Wal Mart and a top speed of 15-25mph OR a a used boat that's probably junk or close to it
2) At least four separate frequencies-If you're looking at toy grade boats, they usually only have one channel on either 27MHz or 49MHz. To have four different boats running at once, you would need to have actual hobby grade radio gear on four separate 75MHz frequencies or everyone running on 2.4GHz systems that can frequency hop
3) Must be an R/C boat-This is the easy part. There are many R/C boats out there and, for your purposes, many styles. The fastest are going to be catamarans and hydroplanes. Your next choice will be a vee hull. Each has it's own pro's and cons:
1) Hydroplanes;
  • Turn best to the right, can make wide left turns
  • Are not good in choppy water
  • Has the least room inside for battery packs, radio gear and drive train
2) Catamarans;
  • Can turn both ways, slightly better to the right
  • Can handle some chop
3) Vee Hulls;
  • Can be set up to turn equally well both ways though, like the catamaran, they prefer turning to the right
  • Can handle rougher water than the other styles of boats
  • Need to be set up properly with the weight centered around 1/3 the way forward from the back of the boat.
  • Has the most room for battery packs, radio gear and drive train
As you can probably tell, there's a lot more to this than just getting a boat and throwing it on the water. Something else you need to consider is battery pack costs. If you have to buy a battery pack, that could eat up a good part of your budget by itself
Good
Old 06-04-2020, 12:43 AM
mfr02

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.banggood.com/FEILUN-FT01...r_warehouse=CN

Depending on exchange rates, this might come within budget and do the job. A bit of shopping round might find it at lower cost.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:58 PM
ConfusedCarl

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Yes, you can call it a sport. Many people that are involved with R/C boating actually race them, including me. I actually build and race scale hydroplanes, none being electric as I have several nitro motors and a couple of gas two strokes that I use to power them. Here's one that I race:
That's so awesome! Got any sweet vids of that puppy in action?

Originally Posted by ConfusedCarl View Post
I just found this on Craigslist (turns out I can't post links yet) "Atomik-Barbwire-17-Rtr-Brushless-Electr" they have it listed for less than $150, so I suppose if it's a $150 boat (according to walmart) it could beat anything they got?
I was able to find out that one of the people I'm competing against has bought this exact boat! I don't think they know I know!
Originally Posted by mfr02 View Post
Depending on exchange rates, this might come within budget and do the job. A bit of shopping round might find it at lower cost.
Whats the difference between this and the FT011? I've been looking at a lot of boats over the past few days and I think one of these might be my best option!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by ConfusedCarl View Post
That's so awesome! Got any sweet vids of that puppy in action?
Actually, there is one that I know of. I was at a race not far from my home where there was video shot. I was having rudder and rudder servo issues so I wasn't pushing the boat too much. Anyway, I started last and I finished last, didn't really care as long as I finished. Being the fastest boat on the water isn't always the most fun part, the competition is what I enjoy, regardless of where I finish. Anyway, the video is below. Just a little trivia, the person that owns the boat that came in second also owns the winner, wasn't happy about losing to a much older boat with a fairly new one. And now, on to the race:
Old 06-05-2020, 12:48 AM
mfr02

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Whats the difference between this and the FT011? I've been looking at a lot of boats over the past few days and I think one of these might be my best option!

Size, looking at the advertising for the two.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:24 PM
Armyof1

Ironic That my name is Carl , And it appears as if thats my neibors post mocking me or trying to get a boat to out run mine (dual 6s 100c ,180 seaking, X560, and leapard 5692 1340kv) so to give you a good start ill give you the miss geico 30" for a 100 bucks cuz thats the only way your going to get 55mph for a hundred ! But first take my name off your user name
Old 06-18-2020, 09:01 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Armyof1 View Post
But first take my name off your user name
Considering the 500 000+ members on site I cannot see someone else using Carl as part of their username as being issue. You are not even identifying yourself as Carl in your username!
Old 10-05-2020, 12:54 PM
kevinsburns

Your friends will never know what hit them.

For 100 bucks there is a outrigger that needs to be built as it's a wood kit, they are called (Shrimp Boats)
They come with the kit, motor, shaft and rudder, 70 bucks, a used radio for 25 off ebay, and a battery. Now if the word boat in this challenge means the boat and radio and batteries are not included than it is under 100 bucks.
I had one, crazy fast small hydros. Easy to build, and pretty much do as the instructions say and it will get on plane.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 PM
ConfusedCarl

Hello Kevin!

I already sort of won with a FT011 I bought off offer up, but that broke shortly after and I am now in need of a new boat, I might actually go this route for our next race, what would you estimate is the max MPH?