Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for Ocean Queen 3 Rudder Parts

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Looking for Ocean Queen 3 Rudder Parts

Old 07-06-2020, 10:00 AM
bigbear440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Looking for Ocean Queen 3 Rudder Parts

Hi, I am new to this site and I am looking for a replacement rudder for my son's Ocean Queen 3 RC Boat. I haven't been able to find any parts for this boat and I have been searching high and low for any suggestions or parts for this brand of boat. I am hoping somebody else ran into the same problem and found a suitable replacement rudder from another rc boat. Any help would be great. Thank you
Old 07-07-2020, 12:52 AM
mfr02

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

A google for "Ocean Queen" gave 1 hit for an fairly indistinct video plus any number of hits for similarly named boats.
The blurry picture of the boat ot of the water shoed three props and no rudder. Is that the same boat?
Old 07-07-2020, 04:29 AM
bigbear440

Yes it does have three props. The rudder is a plastic outrigger style. In the picture you saw the rudder is probably inline so it is hard to see. A side shot of the boat shows the rudder. Without the rudder I haven't any idea what the measurements are. I am kind of hoping someone has owned something similar or have a damaged one they would part out on this site that moved to bigger and better boats. I think I remember when I purchased this boat for my son there were parts for it, but that was about 5 years ago.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:02 AM
bigbear440

I went back on google and looked in images. I found a couple of hobby shops that are still selling them. I messaged both of the sites that I found to see if they might have some info on a replacement rudder. But if you look in google images you will be able to see the rudder. I believe that they are calling it the ocean queen mosquito. The boat itself is 45" long and is a 1/12th scale if that might help in determining a retro rudder for it. It also is equipped with three 550 electric motors. A prop for each motor 3ea.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:23 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You probably won't find parts for it anymore. In fact, even with "hobby grade" boats, parts are only available for a few years and then it's discontinued. I'll use my wife's Aquacraft Atlantic tug as an example:
  • I looked for it at a couple of hobby shop sites and found nothing.
  • I tried to find it on the Aquacraft website. It's now Horizon Hobby and there's no mention of it
  • I tried to find it at Amazon. They said it's unavailable
  • I tried to find the Atlantic II on the Horizon website. It said the boat is discontinued and no mention of replacement parts being available.
This boat was purchased in 2013 and used only once, that being the following summer. Since the boat is now discontinued, the wife is not really willing to put it on the water due to the slight possibility of damage due to hitting something in the water or being hit by something
Old 07-08-2020, 01:04 AM
mfr02

Rudders are not top flight rocket science. The main requirements are that they have a blade wide enough to deflect enough water, be strong enough to deflect that water without bending, and to reach down far enough to catch the water flow.
There are probably plenty of spares for other boats that can be made to fit. I don't know that market, not being into fast boats, but there are people out there who do have plenty of interest in making fast boats so there is bunch of suppliers of fittings like transom mounted rudders. Often, these are better engineered than the originals.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

What you might do is make one that's a bit oversized for the boat. You told me the boat only does around 20mph. That isn't fast, especially when compared to what I run. If the rudder was made of plastic, it was just a matter of time until it failed anyway so here's what I would do. Since the rudder seems to go through the boat's bottom, I would measure the inside of the tube. Get yourself a piece of stiff, straight rod as close to the tube as possible. Just remember, if you have to force it in, it's too big. Get a piece of flat metal, same type as the rod would be preferred and between 25 and 50% of the rod's thickness. Slot the end of the rod to the thickness of the metal plate and secure it by welding or with silver solder, depending on the material. When done, slide the shaft into the hull and add a rudder arm at the top. At this point, you're ready to throw it on the water. You may find the boat to be overly responsive, meaning you need to reduce the size of the rudder, easily done with a grinder or metal saw. Of course, when you are done testing, you will need to shape the metal a bit for hydrodynamic reasons, nothing a grinder or powered wire brush won't take care of

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-08-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 AM
mfr02

From the poor pictures that I got in hits after a search (which might or might not have been the same boat) I had the impression that it was a transom mount rudder. If it is a conventional one mounted through the floor of the boat, there are plastic ones here - https://uk.banggood.com/Water-Rudder...r_warehouse=CN - various sizes. You get the rudder, bearing tube and tiller arm.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:21 AM
bigbear440

Hi Hydro Junkie, I think that I sent you mixed signals on my last message. The Ocean Queen 3 has a transom style outrigger rudder mount. This weekend I am going to disassemble what's left of the top of the rudder to get dimensions for fabricating a new one. Aluminum sanded down to a thin blade should do the trick I am hoping. If you go on google and do a search for Ocean Queen 3 in google images, there is some pretty nice pictures of the boat and some nice pics of the stern showing the rudder. I did get a message to search for one on the Banggood site. But once again I'm not sure of the size. So I was told to measure from the top of the rudder down to the bottom of the prop wash for length, I am guessing to the lowest edge of the center prop at its lowest point or should I go a little below? Thanks, Marty
Old 07-09-2020, 05:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

If I mistook the picture, OOPS!
The process I gave will still work, even with the different mounting
Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 AM
bigbear440

I am going to try and post a picture of the rudder design that I came up with after this post, as I have to have ten posts all together to post a picture. So here goes
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 AM
bigbear440

Still no go on shooting the pictures on the site yet for all of you to see them. I'll try again later as it says that I only have 9 posts. So still trying
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 AM
mfr02

The pictures in the links to rudder types in earlier posts should give a good idea what size and proportions are wanted.
Next response should get you to the picture posting level.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 AM
bigbear440

This is my rudder design that I tried to draw up to scale from one of the pictures of the boat. It looks fairly close.

This is one of the google images

This is the actual transom of our boat.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:08 AM
bigbear440

Still working on fabricating the rudder for this weekend. Everything is done and made out of aluminum which should hold up fairly well. The only thing left to do is to weld the collar to the rudder if by chance it can be squeezed in between jobs today. Once the welding is done, I'll polish it and spray it with acrylic spray and when it's dry I'll post some pictures of the finished product and then I'll get ready to install it back on the boat this weekend!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:53 AM
bigbear440

Well here is the finished product of the fabricated rudder made from a picture and scaled from picture for size.

It came out really well, better then expected

All aluminum fabrication, now just have to install it on the boat this weekend and try it out. I'm sure that I will have to do some minor filing for fitment. But least of my worries now!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:24 AM
mfr02

Looks good to my untutored eye. Sometimes I wish I had done metalwork back in my schooldays....
Old 07-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

My competitive eye sees a little more work being needed:
1) The leading edge needs to be sharpened to reduce drag. I know, it's a work in progress, just calling it as I see it. This is the last step that needs done so don't worry about it until after you've finished your other fitting and testing
2) A flat spot needs to be filed into the round shaft where the set screw is located. This would prevent the shaft from working out of the collar and causing a loss of steering
Other than those two, I LIKE IT