Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing batteries from LiPo - Suggestions??

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Changing batteries from LiPo - Suggestions??

Old 09-24-2020, 11:35 PM
SoundSearcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing batteries from LiPo - Suggestions??

I work with marine survey where we have a radio controlled survey boat that currently is running off of 2 sets of LiPo batteries. We have a set of batteries for the thrusters (4s) and a set of batteries for the computers/sonar (6s). We would like to if possible get away from LiPo and change to something a little bit more reliable with a higher safety rating.

We are trying to change the components that we need to so that we can have one 'main' battery set instead of two separate so that we can run 20-24v for everything. Then comes the problem of how much weight we can add. We were looking at some LiFe batteries and going to build our own battery bank with 6 cells but the weight came to 24kg more than what we have today. When testing and adding 20kg of weight we could see almost immediately that it was too much. My guess is that around 10kg extra is our limit.

We have played with the idea of being able to add batteries to the boat once its in the water as its already heavy to lift as is.

So, a battery system that delivers around 24v that has an Ah of at least 120 and doesnt weigh more than 20-25kg. Suggestions?