Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brushless motor for a big RC boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Brushless motor for a big RC boat

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 01:24 PM
ouss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brushless motor for a big RC boat

Hello everyone,
I am working on a 1.3 m long, 69kg RC boat that will be used to collect algae from lakes and ponds. I want to mount two brushless motors on the rear of the boat for propulsion. The issue is that there are a lot of options around with different configurations, and since I am new to the RC world I got quickly confused. Can anyone of you guys please tell me which type of brushless motors works best for such a boat?

PS: Speed isn't a priority for us, as we don’t expect to go more than 9 km/h.
Thank you in advance for the help
Old 12-17-2020, 01:36 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure about the motors, but according to a handy on line calculator - https://www.easycalculation.com/phys...calculator.php - the max hull speed is likely to be 5 and a bit km/h. Planing hulls go a lot faster than that, a heavy displacement hull won't get there. A 69Kg hull 1.3m long will likely be a displacement hull, and if collecting matter from the water that it is sailing in, a good deal less.
It is actually algae or pond weed? Lots of people don't know the difference.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:48 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I suggest you look for motor-ESC combos, possibly on Hobby King. And for what you are doing I don't see why you need brushless. That large a displacement will take a lot of power and in my opinion more power can be better obtained with higher voltage than higher current. Higher current means bigger wire gauges, hotter motors, higher losses, higher ESC costs, etc.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Personally, I would get a trolling motor and take it apart. The motor will have plenty of torque and the controller could still be used to control the boat's speed with a bit of creative re-engineering. Same with the prop, it could be used or, if you prefer, you can get a large prop to push the boat
Old 01-27-2021, 10:17 AM
Jsmeberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're wanting to brushless I would take a look at SSS motors or TP Power motors for the brushless motors and ZTW for the ESC. I personally have a SSS12356 motor and a ZTW Seal 300A ESC for my boat build and while they haven't been in the water yet they're a beast on the test bench. Keep in mind though this is a pricey way to go and you will need heavy duty wiring and a cooling system