Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any ideas on how to fix rudder broken off from rear hull?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Any ideas on how to fix rudder broken off from rear hull?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Chrisrox36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas on how to fix rudder broken off from rear hull?

I let the neighbor kid drive my son’s boat... well, no good deed goes unpunished! I am proud that my boy didn’t go ballistic, so I would like to get this fixed for him soon. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Presumably fixed by a pair of bolts through the transom. I would be inclined to clean up the surface plastic where it ripped out and cover both sides with thin sheet aluminium (got empty soda cans and a pair of strong scissors?). Clamp both sides with epoxy, apply holes as required, Hide under paint. Bolt everything back together.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisrox36 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:14 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of possibilities. Aluminum will work but I'd go with some ply or maybe better still, some heavier plastic sheet. Take the thing to the local hobby shop to make sure you get the right kind of plastic sheet and glue. For glue I like to use a product called Plastruct Bondene. It literally welds both styrene and ABS. It should be available at the hobby shop.

A nice thin piece of maybe 1/16 or 1/8 inch on the outside of the transom and a similar one on the inside. The entire rear end will come off before that fails. I'd also make the outside piece the same size as the entire transom. More for looks than strength. I think I'd also re-enforce the inside of the corners between the transom and the sides/bottom of the hull. The nice thing about that glue is you can use it to lay some fiberglass cloth down in the hull. Corners and such. Paint the plastic with glue and before it dries lay the cloth on it pressing the cloth into the plastic. Start in the corner between the two parts and work out from there. It just needs to stick to the plastic. Add glue as needed but don't flood it out. It shouldn't take much. Once dry you can add more cloth with epoxy. The epoxy will get into the fibers of the first layer of cloth and hold the second to it. I've used this method to strengthen plastic cowls for small RC airplanes. It works great.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisrox36 (03-05-2021)