Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric vs Gas RC Boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Electric vs Gas RC Boat

Old 09-11-2021, 08:03 AM
snake07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric vs Gas RC Boat

Hi All,

I'm new and this is my 1st post, I started RC boat this summer and my 1st boat was the Sonic Wake 36", loved it and I've been looking into gas option, figured the gas engine, the sound....is more realistic.
I'm looking at Proboat Zelos G48 gas boat, given there's less option in the gas boat compared to electric and it's easily understood battery powered is much more capable of power, speed as of today's tech.
Before I pull the trigger on the gas boat, just wondering is it worthy to go with gas or people are just go with electric today and eventually gas boat will be obsoleted ?

Thank you all,
Old 09-11-2021, 02:04 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Gas boats won't become obsolete but nitro is dying a slow death. Pro Boat is never my first choice for any boat but that's me.
Initially gas was more expensive but the prices are dropping quickly. Battery packs and chargers are expensive for the good stuff. Then there's the wait time for batteries to recharge unless you have a lot of them already to go. You can gas and go all day long, no real wait time involved.
The following users liked this post:
snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:50 PM
JS440
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electric is fun, but I'll take gas any day of the week.

I've always found it funny that your electric boat/plane is more likely to go up in flames than the gasoline powered alternative.
snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 05:26 AM
snake07

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Gas boats won't become obsolete but nitro is dying a slow death. Pro Boat is never my first choice for any boat but that's me.
Initially gas was more expensive but the prices are dropping quickly. Battery packs and chargers are expensive for the good stuff. Then there's the wait time for batteries to recharge unless you have a lot of them already to go. You can gas and go all day long, no real wait time involved.
Thank you for your response, I was looking for gas boat options but can't find many out there besides Pro boat, what do you recommend ?
Found this website, looks like it's from China and shipping cost is ridiculous, hobbyease dot com.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:35 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

RTR boats from Asia aren't a good bet. The prices are low because they use the cheapest of the cheap everything in them and some are copies of boats from Pro Boat. Yes, shipping is high and no telling when you'd get it.
Enforcer Boats, formerly Warehouse Hobbies has some boats made in the USA are pretty good, laid up well and made for new boaters.
https://enforcerrcboats.com/ready-to-run

Last edited by Ron Olson; 09-12-2021 at 05:38 AM.
snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 06:31 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Snake, have you considered building a boat? Zipp Kits has some boats that are fairly easy to build and are good runners. They also give you a few options on hull styles. Here's a link to the website:
Gas Powered Model Boat Kits -- (zippkits.com)
snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 07:11 AM
Got RPM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another option is to buy a used boat from an experienced gas boater. You can get a much better quality product for a decent price compared to the typical RTR. Of course there are risks, but go here, look around and ask questions.

Jim's R/C Boat Dock

snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:41 AM
snake07

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Snake, have you considered building a boat? Zipp Kits has some boats that are fairly easy to build and are good runners. They also give you a few options on hull styles. Here's a link to the website:
You hit me in the head with this idea, yes, thought about it and spent lots of time in the last week watching youtube, looking for ideas to build/convert a boat, I even had a crazy idea convert my 36" Sonicwake to gas but quickly figured out it's not worthy, need to keep it as electric and wanted to add a gas boat instead, definitely will look into the kits.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by snake07 View Post
You hit me in the head with this idea, yes, thought about it and spent lots of time in the last week watching youtube, looking for ideas to build/convert a boat, I even had a crazy idea convert my 36" Sonicwake to gas but quickly figured out it's not worthy, need to keep it as electric and wanted to add a gas boat instead, definitely will look into the kits.
Hope I didn't hurt you too much
Personally, I prefer to build from a set of plans since I've gotten into the "bad habit" of redesigning while I build. Since this would be, I'm assuming anyway, your first build(if you go that way) I'd recommend sticking with a kit that's a proven design. That's the reason I recommended a Zipp kit's boat
snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 05:24 PM
snake07

Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
RTR boats from Asia aren't a good bet. The prices are low because they use the cheapest of the cheap everything in them and some are copies of boats from Pro Boat. Yes, shipping is high and no telling when you'd get it.
Enforcer Boats, formerly Warehouse Hobbies has some boats made in the USA are pretty good, laid up well and made for new boaters.
I spent sometimes look through the options on the website and liked their options, RTR or the hull only, get the kits and build, I'm still debating between the options and the final price is not too far between RTR vs get the hull and build or even get the kits........

Thank you,
Old 09-12-2021, 05:30 PM
JS440
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be much better off buying parts and pieces that suit your needs individually, with a hull and hardware from one of the many US manufacturers.

In the end, you'll end up with a much nicer boat, that you can spend time enjoying instead of fixing.
snake07 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 07:01 PM
snake07

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Hope I didn't hurt you too much
Personally, I prefer to build from a set of plans since I've gotten into the "bad habit" of redesigning while I build. Since this would be, I'm assuming anyway, your first build(if you go that way) I'd recommend sticking with a kit that's a proven design. That's the reason I recommended a Zipp kit's boat
You're correct, this is my 1st build and thank you for the advice, yes, a plan is what I need. I spent sometimes today look through Zipp kit's boat and manual, I think I can manage the build but painting is making me nervous, which paint and clear coat, decal supplier do you recommend ?
Old 09-12-2021, 09:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Since I build nitro and gas scale and sport class hydroplanes, I use automotive paints on my boats because it's fuel proof. I also don't do my own painting as I don't have a place to paint or the equipment. Some of the independent auto body repair shops will do the painting, if you're willing to pay the price. A shop local to me charges up to $200 per color for paint work
As far as graphics, I have a couple of sources I can use since they do scale sets. One is Mike McKnight in California. He has a graphics shop that does work on full sized vehicles but does boats like mine on the side, time permitting. His website is:
Thunderboatgraphics.com
The other is from Illinois. The owner of this one is Wesley Ellet. Like Mike, he does graphics for full size vehicles and R/C as time permits. His website is:
Wesley's Custom Graphics (wesleyscustom.com)
As a bonus, both are R/C boaters so they know the boats.
snake07 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:10 AM
birdo

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I would get a gas boat if you know how to truly tune them. I was just at the beach last month and a guy had a GAS Pro boat. He was having a hard time getting it tuned.

It was 90+ degrees and 90% humidity here. That'll cause any carburetor engine to run like poo.

I would stick with Electric. The only reason I'm ever going gas is to get the sound I want, but even that isn't close to a 2.5 Mercury Outboard
Old 09-16-2021, 08:10 AM
RipTidez

Hi Snake , I'm no pro but have run Nitro, Gas & Electric ... Kind of depends on what your plans are in your head . You say your just getting into
Rc boats what do you want out of the sport ... Racing , Speed Runs , Lake / Pond bashing , realistic scale building ? Pros & cons to all .