Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie Boat Build

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Newbie Boat Build

Old 10-10-2021, 08:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree that adding a 1/8” ply doubler to the transom is a good idea. Working with the CF means you need to prep correctly and use the correct materials. I would pick up a quart of epoxy laminating resin some milled fiber and cabosil. You will want to sand the inside of the transom with 180 grit and clean well. Then mix up a paste of laminating resin, milled fiber and cabosil to form a paste about like tooth paste consistency. Spread that on the ply doubler and place on the transom. Push it down so that you get good squeeze out around the edges and smooth out the squeeze out with a gloved finger. Add a layer of 6oz fiberglass cloth over the doubler. The fillets you create with the squeeze out should be large enough for the cloth to make the 90 degree transition.

As far as mounting aluminum to CF, I haven’t myself seen that as an issue. That said, I would print up a spacer that goes between the engine mount and transom. I would add 4 hollow posts on the spacer that would protrude into the transom and provide insulation between the mounting screws and transom. The posts would be just a little proud of the inside of the transom so that when the hardware is tightened that would expand slightly and provide a good waterproof seal.
The following users liked this post:
birdo (10-11-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 07:53 AM
stingray67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure as to how or where to post this as I'm new to forum and rc boating. I have built 2 Dumas Chris Crafts and now I am attempting a scratch build of a Dumas Deep Vee 20. As you can not get those any more a friend made one for me on a 3D printer. He also gave me 2 motors he had. I have been trying to learn from here and a couple other sites how to proceed. Seems I could just run a bushing tube like the Chris Crafts right out the back to the props but I see most people use a stinger or a strut. I was wondering fi someone can offer some insight as to the pro and con of the drive. I am not trying to make something that is super fast and I have a budget.