Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Want Heavy but Inexpensive boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Want Heavy but Inexpensive boat

Old 11-01-2021, 02:23 PM
MikeCTM2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want Heavy but Inexpensive boat

Hello. I'm entirely new to RC Boats. Trying to find a boat that looks, feels and Behaves in the Water - as close to a real boat as possible. ALL of the boats on Amazon are these cheap, Chinese little feather weight things ..and i'm not looking for that kind of RC Boat experience.

I want a Boat that makes a decent Wake and pushes the water around more. Obviously a Heavier-weight type boat. Something more Classy.

Do these types exist ? Can they be under $200 ?

oh, i don't want a Tug Boat. Something that looks like a Ski Boat ..would be great. Thank You

Old 11-02-2021, 05:19 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Under $200 is very unlikely, that is unless you go with one of the Chinese boats you have already ruled out.
Now then, let's get to business on what is doable. This means asking questions to narrow things down a bit:
  1. How big are you looking for? You can get boats over 5 feet or less than 2 feet long
  2. Are you looking at a ready to run or something you would have to finish?
  3. Are you looking at wood or fiberglass construction?
  4. IF you are considering a wood hull, would you be willing and/or able to assemble the hull?
  5. What kind of power are you looking for? You can get boats that are powered by gas or model engine fuel powered engines or battery powered electric drive
  6. Is there any chance of racing your boat or is it going to be, more or less, a toy?
As you can see, there is a lot more to this than just saying "I want a boat". The one thing you did narrow it down to is that you want to ski boat styled hull but, as far as everything else, these are things to think about. In my case, I run sport and scale class hydroplanes ranging from 30" to 52" so, as you can see, even in the hydroplanes, there are choices to make
Old 11-02-2021, 11:52 AM
birdo

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

The only boat that comes to mind is the Kyosho EP Majesty 600. Good luck finding one though, they seem to be back ordered everywhere. Kyosho makes odd runs of products every few years.

The following users liked this post:
MikeCTM2 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 05:56 PM
MikeCTM2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Two GREAT replies. birdo pointed me in the right direction. I googled the Kyosho ..and now i'm at Amainhobbies.com Would love to have the EP Majesty 600 ..that's the right idea !

Clicked on all other Boats > Kits > Ready to Run ..and see some nice choices. Liking the Pro Boat River Jet 23"

Only looking for simple to start.

Good Questions. For #6 ..more or less a Toy, yes.

Ready to Run. Easy. less than 2 feet. Electric.

We can consider this resolved. Will choose 1 of those. Going to be more than $200

Thank you !

Old 11-03-2021, 01:05 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A lot of years ago I hit on a formula for costing model boats. It was "£100, then add £100 for each foot or part thereof of length.". It still works, and probably translates OK into other currencies. Mass produced toy boats fly under that, but are toys, and their controls are usually toy grade.
There have been some ARTR fishing boats, but most are a bit bigger and go above your budget.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeCTM2
Hello. Two GREAT replies. birdo pointed me in the right direction. I googled the Kyosho ..and now i'm at Amainhobbies.com Would love to have the EP Majesty 600 ..that's the right idea !

Clicked on all other Boats > Kits > Ready to Run ..and see some nice choices. Liking the Pro Boat River Jet 23"

Only looking for simple to start.

Good Questions. For #6 ..more or less a Toy, yes.

Ready to Run. Easy. less than 2 feet. Electric.

We can consider this resolved. Will choose 1 of those. Going to be more than $200

Thank you !
I'm glad we were able to help you out.
If you decide you want to upgrade to bigger and/or faster later on, I would recommend you refer back to the questions I posted as a general guide on helping to pick a boat. There is a lot to choose from and there are a lot of people out there that can help you if you need it.
In the meantime, have fun with your boat
Old 11-06-2021, 07:29 AM
birdo

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Default One on eBay

Kyosho Majesty 600